I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tips for wrapping in bands
Posted by: jim jackson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 11:00PM

When wrapping in bands, how do u keep the threads from twisting around each other and wrapping in "ropes"? I seem to have this problem when trying to keep tension on just two threads. As I pinch the threads all that twist gets backed up down toward the spools , thread gets all wound around each other and I suppose it's too entangled to flatten out as it passes thru my fingers . How do u hold the threads to keep the threads separated as u wrap? Thanks in advance for the suggestions
Jim j

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tips for wrapping in bands
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2014 07:31AM

I get the same problem, what I do is after a pass up and down maybe twice if the twist is too much I will cut the thread and reload my hand. I also found that by pulling the thread from the box of spools then then sliding your hand closer to the spools and further away from the blank helps too. In other words when wrapping the thread in not sliding through your fingers but held tight and as the thread lays down your hand will move closer to the blank. Tension is provided by your resistance to move your hand closer to the blank. Hope that makes sense.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: May 15, 2014 07:41AM

Are you talking about fairly wide bands of two colors? With just two or three revolutions I don't get the problem with regular or metallic thread. I gently hold the two threads together (so they are actually touching) as I wrap.

I don't know it for sure but I expect this problem is associated either with many revs or too high finger pressure on the the threads or both.

Date: May 15, 2014 08:55AM

I notice the problem when I have two threads of different colors. But u may both be right. It may be on the last leg of the pass (wrapping a box out) where the problems occur. I should also put my thread spools in a Plano box. Right now I just cut off a length and use a big Madeira spool.
Fred, I do tend to pinch thread tight ~12" from the blank and as the rod turns allow my hand to move toward blank without thread passing thru my fingers. So then I am pinching thread next to the blank. I try to pinch the thread as I slide my hand back another 12" to keep it from twisting and to untwist crossovers on the threads between my hand and blank, the part about to be laid down. When u do this, that's where all that kinking comes from in the threads between my hand and spool. But I don't know how else to get the right threads side by side as I lay them down.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2014 12:00PM

Use a hair comb to keep this from happening. Hold the comb in your hand and the thread will stay separated.

Date: May 15, 2014 12:25PM

Since I only go around a max of 4 times, I just use a length of thread of the second color long enough to manipulate it, so the end is free and that may be why I don't have troubles like this. But I think that is what you are doing, Jim, at least part of the time? Not sure how the comment "wrapping out a box" correlates with "just cut off a length." Sounds like Randolph knows what's happening; give his comb a try.

To clarify, when I'm wrapping in the second color, a max of four revs, I gently hold both threads between thumb and finger, applying tension this way until I get the second color under the main color and stabilized. Then back on the tensioner a few revs, then cut off the second color. The only time I pinch onto the blank is to stabilize the second color as I unwrap it one rev to get the three I want, to prevent me from unwinding more than I want.

Posted by: jim jackson (143.111.84.---)
Date: May 15, 2014 02:14PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> To clarify, when I'm wrapping in the second color,
> a max of four revs, I gently hold both threads
> between thumb and finger, applying tension this
> way until I get the second color under the main
> color and stabilized. Then back on the tensioner
> a few revs, then cut off the second color. The
> only time I pinch onto the blank is to stabilize
> the second color as I unwrap it one rev to get the
> three I want, to prevent me from unwinding more
> than I want.

Michael, I think we are talking about two different things. By bands, i am referring to holding 2+ threads in your hand while you wrap up and down a blank while doing a decorative wrap, instead of wrapping one thread at a time. when i refer to wrapping a box out, I am talking about a decorative wrap layout thread that is wrapped "out". I think your advice is for wrapping a "band" around the blank such as a guide underwrap, where you switch colors.

Randolph, this sounds like a great idea. I can visualize it solving my problem completely and allowing to wrap even more threads in a band. I will give it a try!
Any more tips anyone?
Jim

Posted by: john backos (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2014 02:21PM

I cut the threads to length, anchor them and run them through a comb.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 15, 2014 02:23PM

I was taking several sections of thread Holding the tips of them and then Gently running my fingers down the thread to get them to stay straight and even
Gudebrod worked well this way Pro Wrap did not Then taping the ends on and wrapped

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 15, 2014 05:39PM

I made a box for this same problem as would alway get 1 thread get twisted into the others,so I took a small box and drilled 4 hole in the bottom to mount post for the thread spools to go onto and then I drilled 4 hole in the front of the box. The next thing that I did was install 4 metal snaps like the one's that one would use in leather making to plug the holes on a belt strap and the thread would then pass through no problem. This works on both metallic and nylon thread and they come out even and separated no tangles then use my fingers to guide the thread up and down the wrap.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: May 15, 2014 05:46PM

Use bands on one pass at a time, cut at least six inches longer than you need, stick them to double sided tape, run a packing tool down between the threads separating them from each other and wrap up the blank. If you wiggle your fingers a bit as you make the pass, the threads will fall into place as long as you have plenty of length. Stick the top end down and repeat. Don't leave the thread on a spool and don't try to go up and down with a band. A little practice and you can do bands of at least 8 A size threads without a problem. Double sided tape, thread cut to size, one pass at a time.

Date: May 15, 2014 08:38PM

Yes, I was interpreting the whole thing wrong. I don't do those wraps any more. Life's too short.

Date: May 15, 2014 08:38PM

Yes, I was interpreting the whole thing wrong. I don't do those wraps any more. Life's too short.

Date: May 18, 2014 02:20PM

I had good success using a fine comb. Had one for mustaches that came w a trimmer. Worked well. I figured out that while wrapping a fade, if u make the band symmetrical then u don't have to change orientation of the comb when going different direction s after the turnaround at the top. So, I would wrap dark lite dark, or, dark lite lite dark.
If u wrap dark dark lite, then when u come back down the blank, if the comb is up, lite is now the outside thread instead of inside thread where it belongs.

Thanks to everyone for help. It was helpful! Jim j

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster