I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I'm thinking of building a rod for a spin-cast reel...
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 02:32PM

I have a couple of vintage spincast reels (most notably a Abumatic 170), and I keep entertaining thoughts of fishing them. If you're an old fart like me, you'll remember the day when baitcasting/spincasting reel seats did not have a "blank through" design. The blank ended in the foregrip, which allowed the reel seat to sit below the axis of the blank. Essentially, all this means is that as the line exited the spincast reel it was more "in line" with the first guide. With the components that are available today, I don't think this is possible. I would like to reduce the angle the line must follow between the reel and the first guide, but I am unsure the best way to accomplish that goal. I would really like to hear if others have addressed this issue. Thanks!
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm thinking of building a rod for a spin-cast reel...
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 03:27PM

A Fuji pistol grip may be all you need to do what you want to do.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 04:18PM

Hunter,
Simple design of a rod using a spin casting reel.

[www.amazon.com]

The problem with the old style pistol grip spin casting rods, is that unless the rods were very short, they almost always were very tip heavy. With a conventional setup as shown above, it is easy to have a balanced rod.

Some of todays casting rod reel seats that have very thin or no space between the bottom of the reel seat results in the type of recess that you would like to have on such a rod.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 06:25PM

The "spout" at the front end of a spin-cast reel minimizes the importance of the size and alignment of the first guide.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 08:36PM

Roger, I have different lengths of pistol grips that take care of the rod being tip heavy.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: May 14, 2014 10:55AM

I think Phil's comment is valid, but if you want to better align the guides and the reel you can put some tape under the rear foot of the reel to tip it forward (point it at the guide) and/or use taller guides. I'm not fond of going very tall as they are more prone to damage. Since the reel controls the loops coming off the reel very well, I don't think you have to go anywhere as large on guides as many of the older designs did. Should be a fun project.

I remember using those reels, and they worked very well even with fairly heavy mono. I always wondered how they did it, and should have persued it more deeply. I might have invented the Microwave!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 11:37AM

You already have the microwave in the reel A cone and small ring You can probable start with the same ringed guide and then the runners
We had a discussion about that here using a spin reel with a large ringed guide close to the reel then a small one Never did play with that Hmmmm

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.academic.nat.kent.edu)
Date: May 14, 2014 12:37PM

Hunter,

I'll echo the comments of the others. The line is pretty well controlled after it exits the reel, so the rest is about getting it down to the runners. I tend to use taller guides than I do with baitcast reels, whether it is just bumping the ring size up a bit or going to a taller frame double foot. With the larger reels, a single taller frame butt guide will help bring the line down to the blank, and then on to the runners. With Bill's analogy, think of your butt guide as the transition guide in the MW.

Joe

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: May 14, 2014 04:06PM

I certainly can't write from experience on this one but my gut tells me much what other have already suggested.

i wouldn't normally comment on a build like this cause it is way far from what I normally build, but one idea that hasn't been mentioned as a possibility yet is attempting a spiral wrap. It might provide a different frame height / ring size opportunity compared to a traditional top guide build. Just a thought...

What do you guys think?

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: May 16, 2014 09:07AM

You might try offsetting the reel seat or installing the reel seat so that the rear is higher than the front.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.241.113.252.4wbi.net)
Date: May 16, 2014 07:39PM

I have an older St. Croix (Fuji casting reel seat, I believe) and recent cabela's (like the Fuji) two piece rods that I have done spiral wraps on that work well with the Zebco omega reels. The cabela's rod came with one of the Zebco reels mounted on it, and it casted well with the original set up as well.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (63.88.70.---)
Date: May 27, 2014 01:27PM

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. Sorry this has been delayed in coming, but I have been otherwise occupied in recent weeks. I will be using a number of these ideas. I hope I have time to do so before the summer is through!:)
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster