I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old Shakespeare Wonderod
Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 06, 2014 05:21PM

Can anybody give me some info on a Shakespeare Wonderod 12-0290B solid glass, 63" long, butt 0.795, tip 15. It looks like a VHF antenna. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Shakespeare Wonderod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2014 05:42PM

Well, some were indeed radio antennas! But many older ones were made to fit into a chuck type handle, so a 63 inch long blank would mate to an 8 to 10 inch (or so) handle for a 5-1/2 to 6 foot long rod.

I don't have any of their catalogs from that time period or I'd attempt to be more specific on the blank specs.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 07, 2014 05:49PM

Some if not all of the Wonderod blanks had a balsa wood core inside the blank. They were a solid rod, but not solid fiberglass. I can't help you with the model number you are looking for.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 07, 2014 06:15PM

Mike

Where did you get your info from ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 07, 2014 06:46PM

Bill Shakespeare's Wonderods were hollow, not solid. They were inspired by a fly angler, a Dr. Howland, hence the "Howland Process" trade name on Wonderods. Do a search for "Long Rods Then and Now" to find an informative article about how rod blanks have evolved in the past 50 years. It's strange to think Hardy was building and selling fly rods built on Greenheart (wooden) blanks into the 1970's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 06:47PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: May 07, 2014 07:01PM

Bill: I have read it on one of the web sites, but beyond that, My Dad was a rod builder going back into the 40's. He also did casting shows on the west coast for the Silaflex rod company before they were bought out. He was very familiar with the "Wonderod", and we owned a number of them. We also broke a number of them. The broken ones were all solid with a wood core. My Dad said this was how they all were built. I can't find the web page where I read this, but know that my Dad did a lot of research and talking to the rod companies back then. He sold rods, and thought he should know as much as he could about the products he sold. Dad had me casting in the shows when I was 3 years old, and that was 60 years ago. I guess you can mark this up as some where between hear say, and an educated guess. I will try to find the article for you.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2014 07:09PM

The very early Shakespeare models were built on a wood (balsa) mandrel that was not removed (Howald Process). Later models did not utilize the balsa core.

Date: May 07, 2014 07:29PM

Thanks Tom. The information I was going on was old. I think the last one we had broke in the late 70's and was from the early 50's. I know it had a wooden core.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 07:39PM by Mike Bradford.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 07, 2014 08:00PM

It seems some Wonderods had balsa cores and some did not. To find the article about the recent development of rod blanks you will have to search for:

Long Rods Then and Now 3 Terrace Standard

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2014 04:39PM

First, thanks for all the info. You guys are right, it does have some sort of core that I can't identify. I picked these rods up, along with about fourty others, from an old tackle shop on Long Island whose owner had died. These were mixed in. There were all sorts of components from the 40's and 50's and earlier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster