I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger Wrap Colors
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: May 03, 2014 09:28AM

Hi All,

I am about to attempt my first tiger wrap. I want the effect of the wrap to look black and gold. Any suggestions on the under wrap color? What would e the proper color procedure?

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger Wrap Colors
Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: May 03, 2014 11:05AM

I ve done black- silver. Blak nylon and siver metallic underwrap and cp, then black nylon overwrap with no cp. But it looks more black with silvery background. If u want gold to be main visible colour try black white ncp under and gold metallic overwrap, but i dont know how metallic thread is good for outer leyer. Someone should know better

Date: May 03, 2014 11:23AM

Hi Sergiy,

I actually want it to appear more black than gold. After the under wrap you used CP. May I ask why? I was under the impression this is where the first coat of epoxy was applied? Possibly even two coats for added depth?

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: May 03, 2014 11:41AM

Yep, 2 coats of epoxy. You can do even more. Cp- i use most of the time even on ncp thread. Not saying its needed, but i get much less bubbles forming under epoxy and dont even need to use flame. Just gentle blow from a mouth to straw and they gone. I dont use cp for outer leyer only because i may disrupt pattern by moving thread with brush.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 03, 2014 12:29PM

Try black and gold under with black over. It will be subtle but it will look black with a gold background.

Date: May 03, 2014 02:28PM

Thanks Guys for the input. I am going to go with black and gold under with 2 coats of epoxy and black over.

One other question do you burnish the under thread any special way?

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 03, 2014 02:51PM

There is an artical in the Library above right Check it out good info

Plus you may be better to try several colors on a scrap piece of blank or old rod Just to see if it will come out as you want

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 07:29PM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 04, 2014 09:31AM

Thanks Bill. I did read the library article. Also watched a couple videos on youtube.

Regarding color the theme of the rod is black and gold so I an kind of stuck with those colors.

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 04, 2014 09:42AM

Not really

Check out the photo page and look for a rod similar You will be surprised on the colors that go together

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 04, 2014 10:01AM

Will do thanks!

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2014 12:07PM

I don't know if it will work great for tiger wrap but red looks great with black and gold to me.

Posted by: Chris Tulk (184.151.190.---)
Date: May 04, 2014 12:16PM

Hi David

I like the color combo also. Are you thinking the under wrap as black gold and red then black over wrap?

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2014 12:43PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Swap silver for gold. I think it would look awesome.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 05, 2014 12:39AM

Posted some pics of an Iowa State spin rod, Feather inlays, rattlesnake skin and fang, holographic Tiger Wrap, Black, Gold ' Angle and Trim wraps' done for sch color sparkle. CP put on the Red to maintain bright look. Came out very nice./...sharp!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster