I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What do when GPS puts stripper REALLY close?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 01, 2014 02:55PM

For a Shimano Stradic CI4 2500, GPS puts the choke point at 27 inches and the stripper at 11.5 for a size 20 or 13.7 for a 16 when using the KL-H guides. How can this be correct? If the stripper should ordinarily be around 18-22 inches, do I go with lower guides like the KL, a smaller ring further out (which might even mean a 2-guide reduction train) or just go ahead and have a 20 or a 16 really close? If it matters, I might go up to 10lb mono, but would more likely use 8lb mono or 10lb braid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do when GPS puts stripper REALLY close?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2014 05:21PM

Marty,
Simple.
If you don't like the results from GPS, ignore GPS and use your own system to place the guides.

As folks have said for years, "If it looks wrong, it is likely wrong." "If it looks right, it is likely right."

Be safe

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2014 05:31PM

Seems to me the GPS is telling you that the KL guides are the right ones with that reel. Maybe a 20, 12, 5.5?

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 01, 2014 06:01PM

Steep angles and KL-H guides sometimes don't mix and althoigh I wouldn't build it with an 11.5 in stripper I'd be willing to bet an experiment would be enlightening. Table edge the reel and work to find guides that will run smooth at that 18-19-inch mark for a stripper. KL would be a good place to start or you could go down to a size 12 KL-H and see what happens )if your casting 10lb braid or less). You still have options.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 01, 2014 06:42PM

Roger

they have been saying that about the Spiral Wrap for How Long ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 02, 2014 07:44AM

Jim Ising, do you have measurements for the latest model Symetre, I believe it is the FL?

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 02, 2014 08:47AM

I built my ultra-light using the GPS software using 12H (19"), 5.5H (25.25") and then 4.5's (starting at 31") and it's a dream to cast! All distances are from reel shaft end.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 02, 2014 12:23PM

Chester - what is the real and line you are using with that build?

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 02, 2014 01:08PM

The reel is a Shimano Sedona 500 and the line is Namofil 4#. The casts are unbelievable with a small crappie jig.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2014 01:18PM

Marty I have two St Croix ML powered rods with Cl4's on them. I have size 20 KL-H at 20.5 inches from the reel foot with the choke point about 45 inches from the reel foot center. One reel has 7 pound Sniper FC and the other 15 pound braid. The FC casts well and of course the braid will outcast it easily. I noticed the new Fuji/Anglers catalog gives a choke guide location In the 27 inch range for a 6'6" project I am working on now. The guys at Anglers recommended starting with a 16 size (for up to 8 pound line) choker which they had at the NC show. I have ordered a set of reduction guides for both 20 and 16 and will start testing next week. Tape them up and test!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 01:19PM by Bill Tune.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 06, 2014 09:30AM

I don't have that reel measured, Marty. If the KL's are too close I would probably switch to KL-H. That should put a 16 stripper closer to the 19 inch mark with a choke around 19 or 20 inches beyond the stripper using the .45 multiplier in Fuji's revised "Universal" KR Concept.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster