I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR stripper guide question
Posted by: Jeremy Merkel (172.56.11.---)
Date: April 26, 2014 04:54PM

I have read as a rule of thumb to put the stripper guide 18" to 22" from the end of the reel spool (correct me if I'm wrong). Yesterday I was using the GPS software on anglers resource and noticed a link to kr concept guide placement chart. In it, the stripper guide was placed 27" from the reel on a 7' rod. Does anyone know why this is recommended? Which should I follow when using KR guides - NGC, GPS, or the guide chart?

I find it odd, because when I put the info in for the rod I'm building into GPS I get results that I would expect, but then I find this chart....on the same site, even.

Here's the guide mentioned:
[anglersresource.net]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR stripper guide question
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 26, 2014 06:29PM

This is why I use the NGC system Simple and easy to use
With some adjustments on guide sizes your good

I have been reading SOOO many builders not understanding the Fuji System

Butt guide 1/2 the size of the Spool Face Plate ( to start ) 27 X for the chock or a straight line to where the chock guide is placed
One guide Per Foot of how long the rod is Maybe plus one -- But the Static test will tell you if you need more or less guides
Set up your guides according to the article in the library page and your good -- and it is simple and it works

heck it is only a fishing rod You are only going to get So much casting Distance from it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2014 06:59PM

How large is your reel?

Posted by: Jeremy Merkel (172.56.11.---)
Date: April 26, 2014 07:17PM

The spool is 41mm, so I initially used your 27x method and got 43.58" for a choke point. The kr guide chart has the choke at 49" on a 7' rod, which is close to the length I'm bbuilding - 6'10".

I am just curious because the chart is so much different than everything else I've read and was curious as to why, both in it's distances and guide sizes. I have to orde a few more kr guides anyways, so if anyone knows if their measurements would give better performance (and why) that would be great.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 26, 2014 07:19PM

A starting point for the size of the butt guide is 1/2 the size of the spool face diameter From there ya try one larger and one smaller

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2014 08:06PM

Choke guide location is dependent on reel size, not rod length. For the same size reel the choke guide location should be the same, even if you have rods of different lengths. Same with butt size and distance. If you have a larger reel (larger diameter spool) you might be fine with a butt guide that is 27 inches from the reel. Generally the larger the reel the larger and further out the butt guide is going to be.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2014 03:33PM

Jeremy Merkel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have read as a rule of thumb to put the stripper
> guide 18" to 22" from the end of the reel spool
> (correct me if I'm wrong). Yesterday I was using
> the GPS software on anglers resource and noticed a
> link to kr concept guide placement chart. In it,
> the stripper guide was placed 27" from the reel on
> a 7' rod. Does anyone know why this is
> recommended?

1) In the second paragraph starting on the second line it states that this is "For times when specific reel info is not available".
2) The 27" is from the REEL STEM not the top of the spool.

So comparing the Fuji KR concept to the 27X is like comparing a glass half empty to a glass half full. It is just two different ways to skin a cat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2014 03:34PM by mike quinn.

Posted by: Jeremy Merkel (172.56.10.---)
Date: April 27, 2014 04:04PM

Mike,

Thank you! That is exactly what I was thinking, but I am newer to this and wasn't sure. Good to know.

I was also curious if putting the stripper guide out that far had any negative effects.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2014 04:50PM

No matter which concept you use, it is a starting point / guideline to building the best rod you can. I tend to use "What do I think, what do I know and what can I prove" thru trial and error to find the answer. Only you can do that with your rod to find the answer. ;~)

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: April 27, 2014 05:32PM

GPS is a computer program. As such it will have limits where some human intervention is appropriate. While I am not an expert on the "code" or the reel dimensional effect on its recommendations( other than noticing it does not consider spool diameter in its calculations), I have used it, and I have read a lot of comments from forum users. What I think is happening is that the angle of the reel shaft has a very high influence on its recommendations. I think if you have a reel with a "flat" shaft angle it will put your butt guide pretty far out, maybe farther out than good rodbuilding logic would put it. If the reel has a very "steep" shaft angle, it will put your butt guide very close to the reel, most likely too close. I use it when it makes sense, and go back to other methods or to the recent emails from Ising on how to do a K setup in five easy steps or something like that.

You can easily see how this could happen by imagining a reel with a shaft angle of zero. Where would the butt guide go? W-a-y out. If you have screwed up your reel measurements this could happen. Imagine a reel with a 30 degree shaft angle. lWhere would the program put the butt guide? Most likely an inch or so from the face of the reel. Note that GPD does not even consider spool diameter in its calculations. It's all about shaft angle. I would not be surprised if Fuji would drop most of the GPS system and go to a simpler system like the Ising emails have described. Simpler, less confusing, less sensitive to errors in reel measurements, less sensitve to extreme shaft angles.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 28, 2014 09:59AM

The latest KR updates start with this direction..."Locate the stripper as you always have using NGC." GPS can help with that, table edge can help with that, trial and error can help with that. You still have decisions to make on stripper size based on height. It helps a lot to step back a try to understand WHAT you're trying to accomplish to begin with. You are trying to make a smooth, fast flowing path for the line to follow when being pulled through the guides. The stripper is a critical spot to get that process started. If the line flies all over, slaps the blank, bounces here and there...the stripper is too far out. If the line is choked down very quickly to the stripper and line "piles up" trying to get through the opening in the ring (almost like it's being choked)...move the stripper out.

EVERY METHOD OUT THERE (GPS, TABLE EDGE, 27X, CHARTS) IS NOTHING MORE THAT A WAY TO GET YOUR STRIPPER IN THE BALL PARK FOR A TEST CAST. If you rely completely on charts, or computers, or magazine articles to layout your blank and never hit the back yard with a practice plug, it will never be as good as it could be. Tape and test.

I realize that FUJI has dumped a huge amount of information on us (and you) in the past 2 years, but the exact same thing happened when the NGC came along 19 years ago. It took about 5 years for that info to start to gel and make sense to builders. The best advise is to consider the latest information as a software update. Once installed you CAN'T go back to the previous version and compare notes. If you're a KR guy use the latest update. KR Concept is without question a big step forward in fast, light, crisp, powerful rods that are effortless to cast. The confusion starts when you begin to dissect all the information side-by-side.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: April 28, 2014 02:46PM

Good explanation, Jim. thanks,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster