I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod Balance?
Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: April 25, 2014 10:30AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This is a pic of a spinning rod I just completed for my own use. It is the first split grip rod I have built. It is a 6'-6" M action graphite blank. I am more used to boat rods due to the type of fishing I do so my handles are usually longer. This is the first time that my reel seat placement wasn't dictated by the size of the butt cap and grip I was using...and on my boat rods I never worried much about the balance.

On this rod, however, I notice it wants to tip slightly forward when I grip it in my one hand. Should I have anticipated this? Do you guys attach a reel and measure the balance point before deciding on reel seat location?

Thanks for your help.
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Balance?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 25, 2014 10:53AM

If the rod is very light, a little tip forward balance isn't likely to hurt anything. In fact, you can argue that adding weight to the butt results in other more pressing issues that would be detrimental to the rod's performance.

I wouldn't use the balance point as the criteria for reel mounting. Most likely you'd end up with a very long handle that wouldn't be appropriate for the rod's intended purpose.

Rod balance is something where you won't find many hard and fast answers. It comes down to personal preference and perhaps technique specific use.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2014 12:49PM

Joe,
I generally like to have a balanced rod.
In years past, I would add weight to the butt of the rod. However, after careful consideration and experimentation and testing, I have come to the conclusion that it is better to balance a rod, by increasing the length of the butt grip - within reason.

In some cases, with very heavy rod blanks, it is not practical to consider a balanced rod, so then one simply lives with the fact that the rod won't be balanced.

Everyone has to make their own choice on this item.

The one thing that everyone can do, is to build the rod with the lightest components possible - especially in the front 1/2 of the rod. The lever length of the rod, gives the most help by decreasing weight from the front of the rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: April 25, 2014 12:58PM

Great topic! - Would love to hear from guys who build bass rods what they think about this.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 25, 2014 01:19PM

If handle is too long to get balance andyour belly too large you going to have a bad day fishing.
Especially if you also cast right handed but need to wind the reel with right hand too: that shuffle can cost you fish and makes for frustation.

I prefer a tip heavy rod for some presentations, if i am fishing tip down it just makes sense for that to be the position the rod wants to sit.
Jerkbaits, traps in current, inline spinners i fish tip down.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 25, 2014 01:32PM

take it fishing and see how it acts If you can't live with it then change it You can do a simple butt cap with weights to adjust it to fit you

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Hal Lambert (---.flo.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 25, 2014 01:51PM

I build mostly bass rods and I don't take balance into consideration. Like Tom said, doing so usually ends up with a handle that is too long or adding to much weight to the butt of the rod. I choose to just make the rod as light as possible.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 25, 2014 03:49PM

You can also keep how long the butt handle is - but - build it from the heaver cork or even wood to add the proper weight needed
BUT
You don't want to make the rod TOO heavy to handle

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: April 25, 2014 04:02PM

I make my rods as light as possible and don't worry about balance (bass casting, spinning, salmon/steelhead rods). As stated above, too much butt length can be poor for ergonomics. For me, the only way to improve balance is to use lighter guides and wraps, premium lighter blanks, and you know we're about as light as it's going to get on that end of the rod. Maybe some future magic blank will still make some significant gains, but at less than 2 oz for most blanks, we're about there. Seems I remember balancing casting rods with butt weight kits and had trouble with the rod torquing in my hand on one-handed casts.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: April 25, 2014 04:55PM

What about using a different reel?

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: April 25, 2014 08:52PM

The 9-10 foot shore rods on the right side of this picture have about 7 inch fore grips, down-locking reel seats, and 6.5 inch rear grips.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Two handed casts are followed by moving the rod holding hand to the middle of the fore grip where there is a balance point provided by the reel being mounted close to the rear of the rod counter-balancing the weight in front of the rod holding hand position. This kind of handle has been referred to as Skamania or Michigan style with fore grips longer than rear grips. It works well to create a balanced long rod.

Posted by: john ratcliff (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2014 09:45PM

That is a nice looking rod.

I don't build as many rods as some here but I don't bother balancing my bass rods. The only thing that matters is that you like how it feels and you feel confident that it will catch fish. After all if you don't like it you wont fish it. Just my opinion.

Date: April 25, 2014 10:23PM

Ross,
I just built an 8 foot float rod for a client. He asked for a 24 inch Tennessee handle.

With that type handle, you can put the reel where you want for balance and hold the rod where you want to for the best cast.

Be safe

Date: April 25, 2014 11:00PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ross,
> I just built an 8 foot float rod for a client. He
> asked for a 24 inch Tennessee handle.
>
> With that type handle, you can put the reel where
> you want for balance and hold the rod where you
> want to for the best cast.
>
> Be safe

Roger,
Even with blanks weighing around 3 ounces, 10 feet long, and size 8 running guides to avoid icing up for winter shore fishing on Lake Superior, I haven't seen any need to have total handle length longer than 18 inches to achieve balance in a 7 inch fore grip with down-locking reel seat and a 6.5 inch rear grip. The further up toward the tip that the reel is positioned, the shorter the length of rod that you have left to work with and setting the hook with 70 yards of line out becomes more problematic with shorter lengths. But as custom builders know - the customer is always right (even when they're wrong). I will usually try to suggest my opinion of how the rod should be built but the choice is still up to the customer.

Posted by: Chad Hefflinger (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 26, 2014 07:49AM

I never paid much attention to balance until I started building rods. I build mostly walleye and bass rods and now try to balance them out within reason depending on how they will be used. It can be difficult with split grips, but the easiest way is to start with a good light blank and use micro guides of some sort. I typically use micro/tidal wave, nano micros, minimas, or Kigans depending on if a leader knot needs to be passed through the guides. I have an older loomis imx that has been my walleye rod for years, I recently built my son a similar length, weight and action rod on a Batson RX8 blank with nano micros, aero spinning seat, pro tour split golf grips and paired it this a Shimano stradic ci4+ 2500 series reel. This combo feels amazing in your hands, the whole combo weighs just over 9oz and is balanced right at the spool. It makes my old loomis feel like a broom handle. I will be building this same combo for myself this month, and will probably strip my old loomis down and updated it with some micro guides of some sort.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 26, 2014 03:21PM

When "balancing" a rod/reel outfit don't forget to account for the added weight of whatever you intend to cast. This weight at the tip of your rod is highly leveraged, so any difference in the weight being cast will be magnified five or six times at the fulcrum - your reel seat. Most of the proficient anglers I am acquainted with ignore trying to balance a rod by fiddling with the reel seat placement. I go old-school: cork grips and two simple sliding rings. I can easily and quickly move the "reel seat" securely anywhere I want any time I want - and two sliding rings are wicked cheap.

Date: April 26, 2014 05:16PM

Phil,
I have to respectfully disagree with your comment about considering the weight being cast.

The reason is simple. I want a balanced rod, when I am basically fishing on a slack line, with the bait cast out away from shore or the boat.

When jig fishing I typically do a lift drop technique, where I will lift the jig, drag it a bit and drop it back down, Then, I slightly lift the tip of the rod, to take up slack and feel for a bite on a just tight line.

So, my need for a balanced rod to get the best sensitivity, is when I am fishing with the bait actually sitting on the bottom on a semi slack or near slack line. In these cases, the lure or jig is not on the rod.

I want my rod balanced at this time, because this is where the bulk of my fishing is. i.e. jig on the bottom and the line nearly tight.

Be safe

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 26, 2014 08:10PM

Roger : I seldom fish bait except with circle hooks where the rod stays in the holder and the fish hooks itself, so I did not consider your style of fishing. I appreciate the need for sensitivity while jigging with a tight line. I have never had much luck using a rod's sensitivity to feel a hit on a slack line. I usually watch the line instead. Anyway, the ease and speed of repositioning the reel seat using sliding rings allows me to use one rod with different reels, different terminal weights, and for different fishing methods.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: April 26, 2014 09:51PM

Hello,

Joe-
I am working on a 14 1/2 foot surf spinning rod with a 28" long split grip butt section. I have long arms and position the reel where I know it will be most comfortable for me when casting. If I fiddled around with moving it up or down or adding weight, I may gain better balance but at a loss of comfort and casting performance. Like others have mentioned, building light and keeping the weight in the upper half down seems to help offset any tip heaviness from using split-grips. Does the rod and reel as a whole perform well for your style of fishing? If so then I wouldn't worry much about a reel's balance point unless it was impeding upon my fishing in some way. In fact the very first rod I built has a horrible balance point on paper, (way up above the fore-grip and diamond wrap), but for what I do it fishes well and I never even noticed where it balances until I checked it one day out of curiosity.

Ross-
Great looking rods! Forgive me if I'm unfamiliar with your style of shore fishing, but are there any differences or special measures to take when casting two-handed with a 6.5" rear grip compared to a grip of longer length? I take it you are still casting with the reel held in the upper position and not down as in tournament casting? In any case I can definitely see how a short rear-grip may help with comfort and fatigue especially in a long day's worth of casting and fishing.

-chad

Date: April 26, 2014 11:08PM

"Ross-
Great looking rods! Forgive me if I'm unfamiliar with your style of shore fishing, but are there any differences or special measures to take when casting two-handed with a 6.5" rear grip compared to a grip of longer length? I take it you are still casting with the reel held in the upper position and not down as in tournament casting? In any case I can definitely see how a short rear-grip may help with comfort and fatigue especially in a long day's worth of casting and fishing.

-chad"

Chad,

The rods are used for casting weighted bobbers or weighted bottom rigs with floating baits like spawn bags. There is about a hand width of distance between the hands (one at the reel and the other at the end of the rear grip) to allow for good control and distance when casting. Under the right conditions (getting up high on the rocks with offshore winds), casts close to one hundred yards are possible at times. Spinning reels are what we use primarily so they extend away from the caster. There are long periods of bobber watching so having a balanced rod makes it easier on the hand and arm. Here is the Rods page off our Kamloops Advocates website if you want to learn more [www.kamloopsadvocates.org].

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2014 06:10AM by Ross W Pearson.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster