I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LED bench lighting
Posted by: Pat Barnard (12.227.181.---)
Date: April 24, 2014 12:59PM

I have been searching for a good LED ligt for my rod wrapping bench. I have ordered a few but they are not bright as I desire. I purchased one that was for sale at the Expo ~ $110.00 and it does not have the light needed as well. Any suggestions on what ya'll use, make and type would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and help.

Pat Barnard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LED bench lighting
Posted by: Fred Cory (---.cisco.com)
Date: April 24, 2014 02:23PM

I'm currently using small joinable fluorescents because I have low ceilings and can get the light quite close...

I did happen to pick up a phillips indoor LED Flood light last week at a big box store for the house that would provide lots of light if you have sockets type lights...

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2014 02:36PM

A few choices:

[www.amazon.com]

One of these and replace the bulb with a LED bulb:

[www.dickblick.com]

Generally speaking one should have rather bright general lighting in your working area.

In addition, one should have a rather intense, brilliant task light to illuminate the particular part of the rod on which you are working.

I have bright florescent s through out the work area. Then, I have a Halogen 50 Watt swing arm light that fits nicely behind my rod wrapper to supply intense light on the guide or wrap on which i am working.

Be safe

Date: April 24, 2014 03:03PM

Thanks for the reply. I have two 22watt floucent swing arm lamps that I am in the process of using again. Thanks for the time.

Pat

Date: April 24, 2014 03:11PM

Pat,
A couple of years ago, I picked up some LED displays that run on 6 volts DC. Each of these displays are about 2 X 3 inches. They are incredibly bright. One could take a module like this one and wire it into an existing light.

I have had trouble finding a built up light that has the necessary brightness.

I have used some of these modules for work lighting for some of the machines that I use from day to day.

You can do an on-line search for such modules or modules and see if something might work for you.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2014 03:11PM by roger wilson.

Date: April 24, 2014 03:43PM

seems like they all claim "Super" bright, but when it arrives I am always dissapointed.

Pat

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2014 03:51PM

I have a couple of 100 watt lights on a track over my head but about two feet behind me on the ceiling and have two goose neck lamps set so that I can direct them over the wrap I am doing. Also a magnifying lamp so I can check my work very closely. You just don't want lighting on the other side of the wrap you are working on. Creates a glare and makes it hard to see your work. A neutral background will also help with any glare.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: April 24, 2014 03:54PM

I just put one on my wrapper. Doing black size A on black blanks was just too much without more light. I pick
Jed up a couple flex arm clam. Lights at IKEA . Their lighting section has a lot of options. The one I got were fairly inexpensive so I got 2 and mounted them on each end of the wrapper.

Posted by: jim kuhn (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2014 07:56PM

I use an Ott light It's all you will ever need. [www.dickblick.com]

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: April 27, 2014 11:00AM

this is the one I got. actually bought 4 . two for the wrapping bench , 1 for the lathe and a clamp model for the drill press.
[www.ikea.com]

Date: April 27, 2014 11:58AM

Gary,
Let us know how it works out for you.

Be safe

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: April 27, 2014 03:51PM

I have the Ikea JANSJO too, hard to beat for the price, I tied flies site it too.
And still have one on my varnish lathe.
Work fine but need to be close to the working area.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 27, 2014 11:39PM

Pat Barnard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been searching for a good LED ligt for my
> rod wrapping bench. I have ordered a few but they
> are not bright as I desire. I purchased one that
> was for sale at the Expo ~ $110.00 and it does not
> have the light needed as well. Any suggestions on
> what ya'll use, make and type would be
> appreciated. Thanks for your time and help.
>
> Pat Barnard

Hi Pat,
Not sure what kind of lights you're talking about, but I would think the LED spot lights that fit on the track would work great. I have a few that are used to light up my rod display and they are bright. I haven't made the plunge to get them over my rod lathe yet, because the combination of lights that I have seem to work well. I think once I re-layout my work area I would get some of them. I would need 12 feet to cover the length and you could place one of these about every 5" or so and have more than enough.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster