I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Calstar rod rating.
Posted by: Sean Hildyard (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: April 12, 2014 08:13AM

Hi guys. I am currently building a standup trolling rod on a calstar graphiter gf760m I think. It says the rod is rated to 80lb. I had to cut the blank quite a lot and I now have a total length of 5.6 foot including a size 2 unibutt. The problem I have is that now the blank has been cut it looks so thin? Surely cutting that much off the blank can't be good? It certainly doesn't seem to be a 80lb rod. How much can you cut a blank? Any help appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calstar rod rating.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2014 10:03AM

Unless the unibutt is of the same length as the amount you removed from the butt of the blank you have most likely reduced the overall power available in the finished rod.

How much can you cut a blank? As much as you want, but you have to realize that the more you cut the more you change the blank's original characteristics.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 12, 2014 01:15PM

Hello Sean.

If you cut from the butt you cut the power if you cut the tip you are cutting the(help me out Tom all I can think of is speed or finesse).

But whatever it's called if you want to keep the 80lb part of the rod when you cut the rod down you need to cut both ends, but do not forget to add the length of the new aluminum butt, if you keep the cutting to the same as the new butt then you do not have to cut the tip, if you cut off more then you have to cut some off the tip to remain an 80lb rod, if there is a formula for this I do not know it.(Sorry perhaps some one else may know of a formula).

Tight Wraps & Good Day

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 13, 2014 01:51AM

So in other words I have cut too much off the butt. Why do companies not make blanks that are perfectly suited and keep cutting to a minimum. Do calstar make a 6ft 80lb blank so hardly anything needs to be cut off?

Date: April 13, 2014 08:00AM

Hello Sean.

Yes Calstar make 5'6"(P/N: Baby-Boomer, 655H-B), 6'(6460H-B, 660H-B), 6'6"(6465H-B, 665H-B)...

MudHole caries all of these & more.

Most companies make a large assortment of blanks.

ATX, BUSHIDO, CRB GORILLA, OTI, PHENIX, and Seeker has a bunch.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 13, 2014 08:25AM

Thanks Robert

Date: April 13, 2014 12:42PM

Your Welcome.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2014 03:48PM

As Tom stated, the overall power stays the same IF you are cutting a length and replacing it with an aluminum butt.

For example, that blank is 6 ft, if you were to make a COMPLETED 6 ft rod with a unibutt out of the same blank, you haven't really changed anything.

Sean is going with an overall 5'6" length which will cut a small amount of power out that blank assuming it is all cut from the butt, making along the lines of a 40-80# rather than a 40-100#.

A better choice in this case would be the GF755XH which is 5'6" 50-100#. The total length removed is replaced by a aluminum butt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster