I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rule of thumb for grip length
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 11, 2014 06:41PM

I know I have seen it somewhere, but now that I need it, I can't find it. What is the rule of thumb for figuring out grip length? I am building spinning rods on a Batson 7'6" 3 weight fly rod blank.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rule of thumb for grip length
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2014 07:10PM

What best fits the hand!! Generally a grip of 6-7 inches for most people, and maybe 7 1/2" for those of us with large hands. Whatever casts and feels good.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2014 07:11PM

Any ware from 6 to 7 1/2 inches Your hand will decide

Shape of it -- is another story You will have to play and see what you like ???

Try casting sever rods with different handle shapes

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2014 07:14PM by bill boettcher.

Date: April 11, 2014 07:27PM

I am doing a split grip, and using the Fuji VSS16 reel seat. I was talking total length from butt to fore grip. Just looking for a ball park figure so I can start adjusting from there.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2014 08:50PM

With a 7'6" rod length, I would tend to have a little longer rear grip, about 8" or so, 4 1/2" for the reel seat, and a small fore grip, about 2" at most, so roughly 14-15 " total from butt to the end of the fore grip. You should probably check the balance point with the reel taped on the rod which would also tell you the best spot for the reel seat from a balance perspective.

Terry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2014 09:39PM

7 inches for 6 foot
8 inches for 6 1/2 foot
9 inches for 7 foot
10 inches for 8 foot.

With butt lengths of this size, the rod tends to have better balance.

This is much the same formula that has been used by production rod makers for years.

These lengths are for the rear butt grip.
If you are talking about a split grip, this would be the length behind the reel seat.

Any fore grip would be in addition to the afore listed lengths.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2014 09:40PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (12.227.91.---)
Date: April 12, 2014 11:27AM

If you are going to use a formula the manufacturers use you might as well just buy a production rod. Custom is way more than just the colors. On reason I started building was I did not like the handle geometry on production rods.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2014 12:02PM

Fred,
I understand your thoughts.
However, in past years, I made a few longer rods with shorter handles and after some use, ripped them apart and put the longer handles back on the rods for better balance.

I think it makes a lot more sense to put a longer handle on a longer rod, rather than adding a bunch of weight in the butt of a rod to balance a long rod with a short handle.

Be safe

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 12, 2014 12:48PM

Hello Mike.

I measure from my elbow sitting on a table to my wrist (for me 10-1/2") and that is the measurement I use to the bottom of the reel seat, for the fore grip I measure the hand(on the table, thumb up) where the knuckles are and add 1", for me that is 4".

Hope that helped!

Good Day.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 12, 2014 01:13PM

Build a temporary shim out of tape for the reel seat. Put the split grip handles on, again with tape to hold them temporarily if necessary. Tape the guides on and move things around until you fiind what you like. You will learn more doing this than you will just trusting the judgement of others.

Date: April 12, 2014 03:30PM

Doing what Victor suggests will also let you figure out how long the butt handle should be Make sure if fishing with the rod in-front of you it does not rub your clothes Be a shame to have to cut some off after all that work

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2014 03:31PM

You could go to the hardware store and buy one of them hot water foam insulator tubes which are cheap and cut them down to different sizes an see what feels right to you.

Date: April 12, 2014 06:03PM

The KISS method
Tape a seat on or just Gabe the blank
Go outside a ( PLAY ) as you are fishing
From the bottom of your hand to the end of the blank Is how long you butt grip is

Why make it so Complicated

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 12, 2014 06:56PM

Thanks for all of your answers. I don't build spinning rods this long, so it is a new area for me. I was just looking for a starting point. I don't know if I was trying to make this more difficult that it should be, or just forgot it over the years. Thanks for reminding me Bill.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster