I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
spigot clicking **HELP**
Posted by: Dimitrios Tsiridakis (91.140.101.---)
Date: April 06, 2014 02:13PM

Hello to everyone

I want your suggestions about an issue on my spiggot ferrule.

I bought one expensive 2 section rod for the shore jigging technique.Recently i broke the lower section and i order a new one.
So when i receive it when i connected to my upper section the spigot joint has 3cm difference from the other.I said that to the company and says me to rub it with sandpapaper very very carefully until
the gap is between 1.5 - 1.0 cm. I do it with care and everything it's ok the gap now is 1.1cm.

My problem now is when i shake my rod with the guides up sometimes i hear a tiny clicking from spigot. I am sure that is not some guide or the reel stand and sound becomes from ferrule.
The sections is normally tight like a new.When i use the rod on a fishing trip and then i try to hear the noise everything is ok ,when iam going home the rod is clicking ! Also i try to wax the male joint but the noise still here.

So you suggest to leave it as it is ? or to use a maver graphite carbon spray on male joint until this sound dissapeard.

thanks for your time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 02:45PM by Dimitrios Tsiridakis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spigot clicking **HELP**
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2014 03:55PM

The ferrule plug tapers do not match and therefore you have the movement and related clicking sound. We did an article in RodMaker a bit ago on how to properly fit ferrules. It's a bit involved and not something I could easily cover here, particularly without the photos.

Generally you'd fit a ferrule by trimming either the spigot or the female ferrule end. Not by sanding the ferrule itself. This is most likely what caused your problem.

Can you determine if the mis fit is at the lower end of the ferrule, or the upper? With that information I might be better able to advise you.

Date: April 06, 2014 04:38PM

thank you very much for your reply.

how can i recognize where the sound becomes ? i have no idea what to do. Just when i connect the rod and shake up and down(vertically) with the guides at right position is clicking.
if i turn the rod with guides at another position or normaly fishing position and shake up and down the sound stops.Also when i turn the upper section irregular and shake with the guide of lower section at right position again clicks.So i believe that something happens on spigot at right position ? My rod is spinning version so iam fishing with the guides down if that help you.

Date: April 06, 2014 05:05PM

Where did you "rub it with sandpaper?" On the end or on the sides?

Date: April 06, 2014 05:13PM

i rub all the spigot from the bottom and on top . the carbon spray you think can help ?

Posted by: marty mulcairn (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: April 06, 2014 05:37PM

as Tom has said, you have a mis-match of taper between the female and male spigot.

put one turn of plumbers ptfe tape on the male spigot at the top end,join up and see if the click goes, if not try a turn a little lower on the spigot, so on so on and hopefully you will find where the mis-match is.

if you find the position do not assume its the male spigot that is worn, its usually the female wall. Come back and post when you find the area and let us know - there are a few different ways to remedy the problem, depending on the area at fault.

Date: April 06, 2014 06:03PM

I'm going to assume then that this can't be rectified by simply trimming a bit off the ferrule or the tip section.

Take a #2 pencil and using the side of the lead, coat the ferrule with pencil lead. Now install the tip section onto the ferrule lightly, and turn it a few revolutions.

Disjointing the sections you will likely see areas that haven't be disturbed. These are low spots and need to be corrected.

Assuming you have a rod lathe, chuck the butt into your chuck and use rod supports to steady the area near the ferrule. With 320 grit sandpaper wrapped around a wood block, lightly sand until high spots are gone and all the ferrule is being marked evenly. At this point you may have to trim a little bitt off the butt of the top section to restore proper fit.

Frankly, this is a very critical operation and you'll need to be very precise and careful. Go easy, check for fit often.

Posted by: Dimitrios Tsiridakis (---.home.otenet.gr)
Date: April 06, 2014 06:03PM

I apply one turn of ptfe tape but the section stop here. so i can't check if clicks.

[imageshack.com]

What else can i do to help you ?

Date: April 06, 2014 06:32PM

I coat all the spigot with pencil lead and i turn the upper section ..the spigot is the same has lead at all his surface.

Posted by: marty mulcairn (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: April 06, 2014 06:37PM

does it click up to that point ? or only when the two are mated all the way ?

use a pencil and coat the male spigot with graphite as Tom has suggested. It will show where the walls are not touching.

Date: April 06, 2014 06:51PM

I coat all the male with pencil graphite and i turn the upper section. The spigot has all the coat on it. I don't see any difference

I can't understund how could happent some times,now it's ok is not clicking...Tommorow if i check maybe click again..i don't know if its so importand to found what it is ? The sound is very small .

Date: April 06, 2014 07:09PM

When you seat the sections, is there still a gap between them?

Date: April 06, 2014 07:16PM

Has 1.2cm Gap between them, if you ask this

Date: April 06, 2014 07:30PM

Assuming the ferrule and the interior of the tip section are concentric with no high or low spots, then trimming a tad bit off the top of the ferrule plug should restore the fit. Don't trim much - perhaps just 1/8th inch and check for fit. If that's not enough, trim another 1/8th inch and check again. Generally a total of 1/4 inch should do the trick.

Date: April 06, 2014 07:38PM

Finally what section tou said to trim? The tip section or the butt?
And how I can trim it ?

Date: April 06, 2014 07:46PM

The ferrule plug - trim from the tip end of that. Wrap a piece of tape around it 1/8th inch from the end and cut with a file or fine tooth saw. Then even up the end with sandpaper and round over the cut edge.

Date: April 06, 2014 07:52PM

Ok Tom Thank you

Date: April 06, 2014 08:09PM

Cut 1/8th inch and check to see if the click goes away. If not, take off another 1/8th inch and check again. Let me know how it goes.

Posted by: John Lentz (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2014 08:39PM

I have had spigot ferrules that had a little wobble or clicking as you say and also very tight ferrules. When I have plenty of gap between the pieces the best method I found was to chuck the butt section in my lathe and apply a polishing paste such as Simichrome to the male section. Get the lathe turning and insert the male section into the female section slowly. As the polishing paste slowly works the ferrules to a perfect fit it allows you to see where the most friction is occuring, very much like the lead method described above. If it is a very small amount of material that needs to be removed just use the polishing paste until you get a good fit. If you need to remove a decent amount of material use fine sandpaper 400 or 600 grit finishing with the polishing paste. Take it slow so as not to remove too much material. I usually just use the polishing paste to get a perfect fit and take my time. I only use the sandpaper in extreme cases. It sounds like yours is not a very extreme case and the polishing compound should work for you. This method will give you two perfectly mated sections.

John

Date: April 07, 2014 06:42AM

Thank you John for your advise.

I Dont have lathe. I am searching for an easy solution that i can do in my home. The rod is expensive and i am afraid to do something that i dont know if its the right way. Today i see that if i coat the spigot with pencil lead the Noise is lower or Zero.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster