I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split spin reel seats
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.scansafe.net)
Date: April 02, 2014 01:12PM

I'm thinking about trying a split seat (alps, minima) on a spin rod and as wondering what people have found as far as pros & cons. It appears to me that your thumb will rest on the threads of the seat hood which seems uncomfortable. I like the Idea of reduced weight and blank contact for sensitivity. Just seeing what some opinions might be.
Thanks
Todd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split spin reel seats
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 02, 2014 01:53PM

if it is split or not that is the spot that my thunb rest most of the time , because of the way I hold the spinning rod , not becuuse of the handle if it is split or not

William Sidney
AK

Date: April 02, 2014 02:43PM

I only use uplocking seats so that my thumb rests on hood or foregrip. But downlocknig seat is opposite.

Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2014 03:03PM

I have good size hands and I used the Alps split seat in both spinning and casting and find them comfortable. I don't like the fuji sk reel seats though. I find that void is uncomfortable in the spinning version.

Date: April 02, 2014 03:27PM

I've heard that about the SK seats. Sounds like the alps are a better design.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2014 05:00PM

A spinning reel is different than a casting reel.
With a casting reel, the hand is either behind, or in front of the reel. Therefore a split reel seat makes sense, since you never have your hand resting in the spot where there is no reel seat.

However, with a spinning reel, the palm of the hand is always resting in the middle of the reel seat. So, in my opinion, a grip with no middle would be very uncomfortable.

A skeletal reel seat is fine, where the reel seat is split and then the center is filled in with cork, wood or other material.

Be safe

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2014 05:16PM

I prefer up locking spinning seats to keep fingers away from threads.
The Minima seat can be used in an up locking configuration.

Posted by: Chad Hefflinger (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 02, 2014 11:24PM

Take a look at the PAC bay GBS exposed blank spinning real seat. Up locking with blank exposed where your thumb would be, I trim the back threads to be flush and use a large rubber winding check on the front and back with no rear grip. It makes for a lightweight sensitive grip.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 03, 2014 06:51AM

Todd, I personally like the Alps over the SKS or Minima. It just feels better in my hand.

my .02

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: April 03, 2014 07:40AM

Go uplocking and put a ramp approx the same diameter as the hood off the front and you will have a very comfortable seat. Make the ramp out of foam reel seat shims for minimum weight.

Like this: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: April 03, 2014 01:12PM

I've heard a few complaints on the sk's for the big gap under the hand.
I do have a PB exposed seat and think it would be great but the 16 seems small for my hand. Pretty sure 18 too big. And I've been told they're discontinued.
May try an alps. Looks like thumb may rest ok on hood and not threads. But may still be too small for my hand. I guess I won't know til I try.
Thanks for input

Date: April 03, 2014 03:01PM

Todd, if you are looking for light weight and good ergonomics look at an Alps Bpst it has a textured finish which is very comfortable. If you cut the threads down to fit your seat and make it down locking there is no need for any grips and you can put your finger right on the blank.

My hand is 8" from wrist line to tip of middle finger x 4" wide. I prefer the 18.

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: April 03, 2014 10:04PM

I don't see downlocking ever being as comfortable as uplocking. The threads won't just disappear; the hood is there either way. A small, smooth ramp off the front hood of an uplocking seat (size 17 alps is right for me) makes a good transition and if done in foam with epoxy over the top, will be as sensitive as the blank. or very close. No sharp edges at all.

Date: April 04, 2014 06:56AM

If you cut the threads right you end up with the same front edge as you would on a standard reel seat. You are only touching the hood and the blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 04, 2014 10:00AM

Put your reel on the seat grab it and see which way you like it With the seat on a piece of scrap or a dowel

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2014 10:03AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster