I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave guide review
Posted by: P. Wayne Hart (---.cpe.citywest.ca)
Date: April 02, 2014 12:18PM

Built a 10ft steelhead spinning rod (MHX st1204) using Microwave guides for personal use. A Penn Fierce 4000 reel with 20lb Sufix 832 braid completed the package. As a life long skeptic in all things new I had very low expectations when heading to the river yesterday - but after 5 hours of casting for chrome on the Skeena - I am a believer. The line and the guides combined to give amazingly smooth casts and excellent distance with several lure weights. Certainly 'guides' cannot effect accuracy but something in the rod/reel/line/guide equation gave excellent directional control all day. No frustrating 'braid wraps' around the tip top. Quiet casts? yes. Braid always returned to the reel as expected, no spool loops or slack loops. A wonderful day on the river.

I own a zillion (wife took inventory) spinning and casting rods of various price levels - this is my new favorite by far. Placed an order with Andy at RBS for the 9'6" version of the same blank and another set of Microwave guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave guide review
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 02, 2014 01:31PM

That is a great review. I have put them on well over 100 rods and get the same kind of feedback from every single person. As I have always said...try them for yourself, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the review Mr. Hart!

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2014 05:29PM

Oops!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2014 10:14PM by Garry Thornton.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (76.178.122.---)
Date: April 02, 2014 05:29PM

My experience is at the other end of the spectrum.
The dozen Micro-wave rods I have build were 6 to 7 foot models and used 8 and 10 pound braid.
Friends and clients who have borrowed my samples, are sold once they try them.
No doubt other guide trains can be tweaked to preform just as well.
However, from a production point of view, I like the fact that the end user is not committed to one specific reel for optimum results.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 02, 2014 05:53PM

Garry......easy on the post button brother....LOL.

on a side note... are you gonna make it the the Round Up Saturday?

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2014 10:11PM

Due to the extreme winter, there are still feet of snow at my summer place.
I will be in Yuma until after the first of May.

Posted by: mike johnson (---.dhcp.unas.wa.charter.com)
Date: April 06, 2014 10:48AM

i built a ten ft steelhead rod with microwaves i changed the runners to size six minimums, on testing i was very impressed. the rod is done now and i cant wait to use it. the bigger runners were for passing bobber stops

Posted by: Cory Leiman (---.umts.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: April 07, 2014 10:31AM

my blanks from Andy should be here today I hope.This will be my first rod with the microwaves.I have a question about using the guide spacing charts that come with them.The rod is a 7' St. Croix casting blank.I will test cast but was just wondering if you that have used them have found the spacing charts.? thanks

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: April 07, 2014 08:28PM

The first three guides from the reel seat are the important ones. Follow the recommendation for these. Place the rest as per static testing. Then test cast with your reel and line. You may get slightly better performance, tweaking the spacing on the first three.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Cory Leiman (207.195.86.---)
Date: April 07, 2014 10:32PM

thanks for the advice.thats what ive read and been told.just thought Id askand see what I got back.I did get my parts today,wish the two feet of snow would melt.

Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.disa.mil)
Date: May 02, 2014 06:37AM

How well do these guides hold up to longer (9'6" +) steelhead rods while fishing in the colder weather? I heard they are terrible for ice removal.

Posted by: Dave Rennie (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: September 27, 2015 09:34AM

I know this is an old thread, but I'm considering the microwave guides for my first rod build and had a few questions.

1. How many guides did you use on a 10' rod?

2. If I was advised to use sizes 17-7mm conventional guides, should I also aim to use the same size microwave guides?

3. Does anyone know of a UK supplier?

Thanks
Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster