I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sanding between coats of flex coat lite
Posted by: Bill Hartlage (---.sip.sdf.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 04:26PM

I have noticed some imperfections in the butt wrap finish using flex coat lite. can the first finish be lightly sanded with fine emery board then apply a second coat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sanding between coats of flex coat lite
Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2014 04:52PM

Yes, just don't go down to the thread.

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: April 01, 2014 05:13PM

When I do this I use a light wipe with a tacky cloth before finishing. You should see no evidence of sanding marks.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 05:20PM

You sure can I have always done this and I also sand down all my Butt wraps using a High speed wrapper and anything from 120 grit to 180 grit sand paper to smooth out all the rough finish. After this is done just clean it up and put a new coat of finish over it for the final product just make sure that you have 2 to 3 hard dried coats of finish on the Butt Wrap first and that will work with any finish.

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2014 05:24PM by Glenn McMurrian.

Posted by: keith corwin (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 01, 2014 05:30PM

Bill, I'm not sure what the imperfections you have but you may consider putting on the second coat and and see if that eliminates your imperfections. With the lite build you have to be very careful not to sand through the finish into your wraps. You also have to give the finish time to cure or you will end up with a mess as it may become cloudy. I am not too familiar with the flex coat. I use the the 321 epoxy from Riley rods. If I need to sand it I will wait 24 hrs. after I applied it. I then sand with 220 lightly then 400 and finish with 600. I wipe it down with a clean cloth and do not use an solvents or alcohol. let us know how it turns out.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 05:46PM

Hit it with a light sand of 400 dry next day

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Hartlage (---.sip.sdf.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 06:02PM

thanks to all who replied. I believe the imperfections are dust as we have 20+ mph winds here and the dust is through out my tying room though not seen. will wait till tomorrow and lightly sand with an emory board to eliminate defects then aply second coat LIGHTLY and hope it works.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 07:12PM

Not quite sure why people are recommending sanding the finish so much, that is exactly what I wouldn't recommend or do myself. If tehre's something sticking up you can slice it off with a razorblade, and then put another coat of finish on. I Can almost guarantee that everyone will make a complete mess out of somethgn they've done by sanding.

Please read Greg McMurrians post and focus on his last sentence..MAKE SURE!!! If oyu sand with one coat and hit the threads you'll have a mess to deal with and everyone else who repliues shoudl send you $20 for encouraging you to screw it up, lol

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 08:36PM

An emory board may be too rough! Be careful!

Date: April 02, 2014 08:50AM

That is why I always say ( LIGHTLY ) and with 400 dry just knock off the high spot
But
Only hit the dust spot or thread sticking up i don't bother to sand the whole thread area not needed

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 02, 2014 09:34AM

I agree with Billy. I would not risk sanding a single coat. Cut off the "nips", add the second coat and if you've really screwed things up, sand a little bit with a two coat build-up...even that is risky.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 02, 2014 10:29AM

Do a practice wrap on some scrap and make it bad in terms of nips. Coat once and see what you can do with it. Try going into the thread and see what happens. See if you can fix the appearance if you go into the thread. You might be surprised what you can do. Try cutting them with a razor (be careful) and see how that goes for you. The point is to try something out before you do it on something that you don't care about first.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: April 02, 2014 12:19PM

Use a flexible double edge razor not a rigid single edge. Double edge razor blades (the kind you shave with) are a lot sharper than single edge blades. Bend the razor blade so it follows the blank a bit and slice off any nibs sticking up and then recoat. Sanding is almost never necessary.

I agree with both Billy V and Jim I on this: the reason why we recommend not to sand is because it is quite common for people to over sand and ruin their dec wraps. You would have to be a real klutz to ruin your wrap with a curved double edge. Wrap a layer of masking tape on the other edge of the blade you won't be using for personal safety reasons.

Date: April 02, 2014 12:34PM

I will probably take two to three coats to cover correctly so another coat may just cover any boo boos

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster