I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave Guides on a fly rod
Posted by: Josh Coburn (---.hsd1.ut.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2014 07:08PM

I've seen a lot of people talking about how great the microwave guides are on spinning rods. I was curious if you guys thought they might have an application on fly rods? It seems like it's really the first guide or two that really provide the line taming control, so maybe replace the the two stripping guides with Microwaves and then the rest of the guide train normal? This is mostly a philosophical question since I don't have any plans to build a rod like this. I've just been curious about it.

Thinking out loud it's probably a moot point with anything 3wt and less since you don't need more distance (or do Microwaves help with accuracy too?) than current rods provide.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave Guides on a fly rod
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 27, 2014 08:45PM

I just put Microwaves on a fly rod blank......of course it is now a spinning rod. The microwave guides will be no help on a fly rod. They are used to control the line when casting and on a fly rod you are not really casting the line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 01:56AM by Don Morse.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2014 10:21PM

Guides don't, can't, affect accuracy. The lure/line goes where the rod tip goes.

It is conceivable that if you used a microwave butt guide on a fly rod, you could move directly to your running guides with no transition guide in-between. Although, I'm not sure the current sizing would be applicable to most fly rods. But I think American Tackle is looking at something along those lines for fly rod use.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 28, 2014 03:30PM

size of guides an the size of lime makes a bid differance an line slap on the rod , it changes the casting ability of the fly rod a lot, as the micro guides are small the line will rob a lot
more, then the wire snake type I think

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 28, 2014 05:57PM

Fly line is thick, and the nail knots many fly anglers use to connect leader to fly line are even thicker. Micro guides are small.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster