I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Locking Wraps
Posted by: Barry Westmoreland (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2014 02:33PM

Hello,

I am a new rod builder. In the past year have built 5 rods, each looking better than the one before. I am in the process of rod #6. On this spinning rod, digital camp grips, sanded 7 ft med blank and single foot guides, I am wanting to add a locking wrap to each guide. In Tom's book he talks about using a security wrap behind the guide leg. I have also read and watched the videos on using the forhan locking wrap.

Is either one better than the other? Which wrap do you use more often?

Thanks

Barry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Locking Wraps
Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: March 23, 2014 03:00PM

The only one I've used is the Forhan, covered in the Library I believe, and have had no trouble with tying it or with its performance. It is very easy to wrap, so I've not had a reason to look elsewhere.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2014 03:15PM

The Forhan adds an additional level of security if you need it. Takes a few seconds longer to wrap. That's about it.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 05:38PM

Tom, I would like to ask about your comment "an additional level of security if you need it". It is hard for me to do so without feeling I am being rude. That is certainly not my intent in any way.

I have been around rods, both building and fishing, for 50+ years now. The majority of it has been saltwater fishing and I have used spinning rods during that entire time period. I have seen line wrapped around guides and guides destroyed from other reasons. However I have never seen one ripped loose from it's wrapping. Maybe just blind luck? Maybe because we used longer guide wraps in the past? Anyhow, in your experience, when do you think this "additional level of security' is needed?

Part of me would think the smaller fly rod style guides would be one example. Then I think the total opposite and feel the bigger the guide, the more it would be needed. Perhaps a surf casting rod that would need to pass shock leader knots during casting would be the ultimate need? Fishing a braid backing with a 100 yard mono top shot might be another good reason.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2014 06:34PM

If you keep your rods in a bass boat rod locker, yes. It's needed. That's how they get ripped out - as the rod is put in or taken out they catch on the lid or box and get pulled out. So it's not so much the fishing, but the transportation and storage where this comes into play.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 07:07PM

I thought that is what micro guides were for
Keeping guides frome getting rip out when in lockers - Cause they were so small ????

And then with maybe two turns of the Forham wrap Or even just one turn

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: March 23, 2014 07:58PM

Yes, micros are less likely to get snagged on rod lockers, less likely to have line grab them, so one would conclude that there is less need for a "security wrap." But, in that rare case where the non-stretch braid of probably twice the normal pound test gets snagged on the micro, it is less likely to be able to resist the forces imposed on it unless it has something like the Forhan wrap tying it down. Especially if CP is preventing optimum bonding of the epoxy. It is so easy to do Forhan wrap, it is hard for me to understand any debate on the issue. Just do it, just in case.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 10:15PM

If you are wrapping snake guides on a fly rod, especially if you are wrapping "lightweight" snake guides, the use of a couple of Forhan wraps is a wise precaution.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: March 24, 2014 09:02AM

Would like to see how you would wrap a forhan wrap on a snake guide. This would be the same as a locking wrap on a double foot guide.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 24, 2014 09:09AM

Rolly, just cut the line from the spool and feed the line between the guide legs by hand keeping tension on the thread.

Date: March 24, 2014 09:12AM

Just make sure your pull though loop is in place

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2014 11:03AM

Hi, Barry,
Flex Coat has a video on You Tube called "Tying a locking wrap on microguides" which you might find interesting.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 12:55AM

Once while fishing I had a single foot guide come loose (I believe the flex coat was too old). Once was too much. I used a backup rod the rest of the trip. Since then, I use the Forhan locking wrap. I only build rods for myself, and the locking wrap takes so little extra time and energy.

Posted by: Barry Westmoreland (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2014 05:53AM

Thanks for the replys and info. After some practice, the forhan loop is now being wrapped.

Reading about new things is great, but it never replaces the directions of experience.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 09:37AM

Hmmm ---- "locking wraps on double foot guides"? Interesting but why - since the wrap on the front foot is essentially a total lock down of the rear wrap... I need to think on the physics I guess....

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 10:00AM

Ken: Lightweight fly rod snake guides have a nasty habit of deforming/compressing when struck parallel to the axis of the blank - like hitting the top of a rod tube when you are putting the rod away. This can - and has - caused one guide foot to slide out from under the guide wrappings. A couple of Forhan wraps is a better looking and lighter precaution than a big gob of epoxy on each bend of the snake guide.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 10:08AM

Thanks Phil... makes sense for a couple of seconds of time invested to not loose a guide. Same happens removing rods (especially bamboo rods with varnish finish from rod sleeves)

Date: March 25, 2014 10:31AM

that does sound like a darn good idea Wrap the foot - with pull loop in - then cut a long thread and hand it around several times while holding the wrap

I got to try that sounds easy ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2014 10:18PM

Thanks Phil .....good idea. The teacher - becomes the student - again. Keep it up, We're never to old or proud to learn.
Rich Forhan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster