I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 questions thread selections and spines
Posted by: Bill Richardson (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: March 23, 2014 10:44AM

I am new to rod building although I did build a few rods with some help back in the late seventies.

First question: I understand the principle and how to find the spine on a one piece blank, how do you find the spine on a 2 piece blank?

And the second question: What is the best thread size selection for a 12’ spinning surf road?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 questions thread selections and spines
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 10:55AM

Spining over the years has been found to be of little real value. if you want to do it worry only about the top half.
Any quality wrapping thread will work fine.

Posted by: James Francis (---.wmisdsl.com)
Date: March 23, 2014 12:07PM

Bill Richardson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
: I understand the principle and how
> to find the spine on a one piece blank, how do you
> find the spine on a 2 piece blank?
>

I've always just done each section separately, then line up the marks when joining.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 01:04PM

I usually just line up both pieces in order to get the straightest alignment of the blank. As far as thread size, I use size A for the underwraps and size C or D for the overwrap.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 01:29PM

If you wish to find the spine of a 2 pc blank, spine the tip section first then put the two sections together and spine the joined blank to see if there is a change in the spine of the tip. A, B, C, or D thread will work just fine.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 06:46PM

I spine each section, and then put them together lining up the marks and spine the whole blank. I know you don't have to spine the new blanks, but this is the way I was taught and it works for me.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 07:13PM

Now - A - Days you don't have to play with Spine
Just build on the Streightest axces

you have not been here in a while things Change

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2014 07:16PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 08:10PM

Bill, I might not have posted, but I read often. I don't want this to go into the full blown "to spine, or not to spine" deal. Bill asked a simple question about how to spine a multi-piece rod blank. My answer was how I learned to do it. Now Explain how to pick out the "straightest axis" to this new rod builder, and let him choose his method. I mean no disrespect, in this reply. "straightest axis" means nothing to someone who has never heard it before.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 09:20PM

splin the top [ 2pice rod ] the under lay looks real good on rod' s , use the common cts on the left side of this page top , an you will have an excelent surf rod for a lot of years that looks good
PS under lay for the guides will improve the looks a lot do the best you can , SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2014 10:21AM

If you want to find the straightest axis, simply roll the blank on a flat surface. Any bends or dips in the rod will quickly show up from the rolling over the flat surface.

Another way to do it is to put the rod in a power wrapper and support the rod near the butt of the rod. Then, rotate the rod and observe the tip for any rise or fall which would indicate a bend in the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Richardson (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: March 25, 2014 11:40AM

Thanks for the info

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster