I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Diawa Saltist HC reel
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 22, 2014 05:39PM

Forgive me if these are stupid questions.

I have never had a request to build a rod around this reel before. Looking online it looks like it has some sort of clamp that helps hold it to the rod???? Can I still use a conventional reel seat? Is the clamp going to interfere with casting the rod?

Just trying to get an idea of where to go with the build.

Thanks,
Vic

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diawa Saltist HC reel
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2014 05:53PM

Go to the Daiwa web site. It does not have anything but a conventional reel foot that I can see, and does not mention one either.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2014 07:33PM

on the daiwa web site the saltist level wind reel has a reel clamp .which you can use if you want. a convenventional reel seat is good with the clamp or a trigger reel seat with out the clamp if the preson is going to use it as a casting rod.

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: March 23, 2014 03:03PM

If they will be using the reel clamp, you may consider an aluminum seat. The fine threads on those clamps make short work out a blank underneath a graphite seat if the assembler gets crazy with torquing the screws.

Date: March 23, 2014 06:00PM

That is what I thought. Thanks for the help.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2014 07:24PM

Maybe you should start asking
What fish are you after party boat
And the lure weight he will be using
Yet the fish should tell you a lot of that And if the reel is good enought of the fish ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 23, 2014 08:35PM

Bill, I already know the answers to those questions.

The reel is his choice not mine.

He was wanting to use the clamp along with a trigger reel seat. The build is on a catfish rod. Why he is using a reel this stout for channels and small flatheads is beyond me but that is what he wanted. I was just trying to figure out how he was going to cast the rod with the trigger and the clamp.

Date: March 24, 2014 09:47AM

never herd of them used on a trigger cast seat before
perhaps if you can talk him into a spiral wrap which he would not need a trigger seat The rod stays up and is easy to use
maybe this will help
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 09:53AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 24, 2014 10:50AM

It doesn't sound like your customer will be using enough reel drag to warrant the need to use the reel clamp. I would assemble a mockup of the trigger seat mounted on a blank or dowel. Make sure to use a full band of tape with no gaps and a snug fit that requires some measure of force to slide the seat over the tape. You want to simulate the stiffness of an epoxied seat as much as possible. Install the reel without the clamp and have your customer check the how the trigger feels on his finger and have him decide if the seat is holding the reel foot as firmly as he wants. Then try the installation with the clamp. It's my guess he'll prefer without the clamp if his finger is normal sized or large.

If he's adamant that he wants the clamp installed, then either use a graphite seat and have him initial a disclaimer about crushing damage from clamp stresses applied to the seat (whether overtightened or not), or go with an appropriately sturdy aluminum seat.

I get this situation a lot in my fishery, most rods are trigger seats. Captains have bad experiences with cheap factory seats on mfg built rods that loosen all the time so they feel they need to use the reel seat clamp. Once they understand that a quality seat won't loosen on them, they are happy to get rid of the clamps in favor of the better finger/hand experience offered by clampless mounting.

Of course, if I am mis-guessing the reel drag requirements here, the the use of the clamp would be advised.

Date: March 25, 2014 06:40PM

Thanks Bill. I was planning on a spiral wrap. I will check out that seat.

John, that is exactly what the problem is. He has a cheap rod right now and the seat hood keeps loosening up. Thus the reason for a clamp. I think I am going to do as you suggest and mock one up for him. If all else fails I might just spray the threads with a little clear coat or hairspray and tighten them down. Maybe that will convince him to stay away from the clamp. The reel seat that Bill posted would take care of it to but he has to have graphite.

Date: March 25, 2014 08:35PM

If i am looking at the correct reel it only takes 20 - 25 LB mono ?? he should not need the clamps ?? he is not doing Heavy Salt Water fishing ??
If that is the case here is a Fuji seat that goes to a size 22 if needed
[www.mudhole.com]-
It is graphite

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 26, 2014 08:00AM

Mock up a Fuji TCSSD18/TCSSD18G and install his reel. Have him handle it a bit. Then have him loosen and re-tighten the nut so he gets a good sense of the unlikeliness of it coming loose on its own. I think his concerns will be quelled once he handles it and sees how securely the reel foot is held.

Date: March 26, 2014 09:11AM

here is another good seat I have 5 out graphite with alumn hoods and locking nut
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 26, 2014 12:11PM

Bill in this thread the original poster is asking questions that deal with trigger reel seats. The ones you made a link to do not have triggers.

Date: March 26, 2014 12:40PM

Just that last one John Forgot about the trigger The other two have triggers

hay these posts last for days Cut me some slack LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster