I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Topwater Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: March 20, 2014 03:57PM

Hey guys about to build my father a new topwater rod, he throws mainly spooks, usually Zara Puppies or Juniors being the biggest. Most casts are near close quarters and he throws with braided line. The build will be with a spinning rod, he hasn't quite gotten the cadence down with the baitcaster quite yet. I was thinking something no longer than 6'6 - figure a fast tip action. Any suggestions on blanks and distance the reel seat should be placed from the butt. Thanks guys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Topwater Rod Suggestions
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2014 06:22PM

the st croix 68mxf is a favorite of mine. The batson 822.5 is also a good one

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: March 20, 2014 10:41PM

My favorite topwater rods (baitcasting) are graphite crankbait actions, so they are not fast tips. My tendency with topwater is to strike too fast and maybe too hard, so I find the slower action with mono line (which floats nicely so it doesn't adversely affect the action of the lure) works very well. Since topwater is so visual, you don't need super sensitivity. Everyone to their own taste, but close quarters, fast tip, braid line seems to make for too aggressive response to the strike.

Date: March 21, 2014 12:10PM

Definitely want something smaller than the 822.5. I really dont have much issue with over reacting on bites. I have learned to let the trebles and rod do the hook setting. This being said would a parabolic slower action like a cranking rod work better with topwater blank.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: March 21, 2014 12:23PM

I've built my crankbait/topwater rods using the Rainshadow RX7 crankbait blanks. CB70M, MH and H have worked great for spooks, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, etc. I imagine the 6'6" versions would work quite well too.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2014 01:17PM

Jay,

The choice of a top water rod is very personal. There are advantages to the faster action blanks and the slower action blanks. I love working top waters with the Batson 822.5 and 823, with those extra fast limber tips, you get a lot of control over your lure. They are dynamite for working twitch baits and other finesse topwater presentations. Taking a few inches off of the butt of either of those blanks won't kill the blanks, if you want to go that route. The downside, if you get to aggressive with the fish, you can pull hooks pretty easily with these blanks. If you really want to keep fish hooked up, a rod that reacts and recovers more slowly is needed.

For a moderate action rod, take a Swampland RFLE 765 and chop it down to 6'6" if you need to. That blank has a lot of power in the lower half, and can be trimmed to the length you need without killing the lifting power. The Batson CB66M will not cut it. Mine is overloaded with small cranks like the Strike King Series 1. Throwing something like a Zara Puppy really requires a lob cast with that blank, and it just doesn't have enough power in the butt to set the hook well and move fish when needed. It might make a nice treble hook rod with braid, but I prefer mono in these applications. Whether the Batson CB66MH would work, I have no idea, because after I built on the RFLE, I saw no need to look at other blanks for cranking/treble hooks.

Joe

Date: March 21, 2014 02:34PM

Anyone ever use the IC722 for topwater applications. Great advice so far, really appreciate all the input.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2014 02:38PM by Jay Burns.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.210.39.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 21, 2014 07:31PM

Jay Burns Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone ever use the IC722 for topwater
> applications. Great advice so far, really
> appreciate all the input.

Like someone said, everybody has different preferences. But, for me, the IC722 is the absolute best rod I've ever used for "walking the dog" lures. I can control the lure so much better.

Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2014 09:56PM

I like a Batson Rx7 crank bait rod in a mh. Great for spooks and traps in grass. I just got another blank just figuring out what guides I'm going with.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 21, 2014 10:52PM

The 3C62MXF makes a nice topwater for the little spooks IMO. You can always add length to the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster