I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grouper Rod
Posted by: Chuck Blocker (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 01:20PM

A customer asked me to build her a "grouper rod" . I am a bass guy and know nothing about these offshore rods with the exception of having repaired a couple of eyes for customers. Help please?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grouper Rod
Posted by: James Zimmerman (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 01:48PM

Location? Grouper rod most consider in florida to say the east coast of north carolina are going to vary greatly. Party boats? Personal boats? You're wanting a fast action either glass if weight isn't an issue or a strong composite as you have to be able to pull an angry grouper out of its hole before it gets in to its hole and flares its gills out to stay in place. I'm currently building a seeker hercules gts60xh that will be used for grouper and Ajs and its a whole lot of rod for the weight class

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 01:50PM

You need to find out the specifics from her. Like: How deep, lure wt. line wt. etc. etc. before trying to guess what she wants or needs.

Date: March 20, 2014 01:54PM

Florida west coast, personal boat, and she wanted it to be a surprise so any questions would not be good. She has no idea about fishing of any type.

Posted by: James Zimmerman (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 02:06PM

does she at least have any idea what kind of reel? big difference in the rod i'd wana use between a smallish jigging reel and a 4/0-6/0..

Date: March 20, 2014 02:09PM

I would say not

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 03:59PM

GOOD LUCK!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 04:43PM

Who is this rod for -- Her or her boyfriend or husband
She knows nothing about fishing -- And wants a grouper Rod ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 04:55PM

I take a shot at this I was a guide and shop owner in SW florida for 12 years. Most of the Goliath are in or near shore. Near pilings and bridges with current. This is meat stick fishing as you get them to bite a giant lady fish and keep it slack until you start the boat get rid of the anchor then while your buddy backs away from the piling you set the hook and pull a 150 pound giant away from the piling. Its done with 70 to 80 pound test and a short really stout bait cast with tld or better reel. Not much for sport but if you have never seen a goliath it is a learning experience. Now to off shore wreck fishing usually a 6foot or so fast action with a good backbone and 40 ish pound class with gimble. It is still a meat stick just not quite as stout.The Hurcles that james suggested is right on. Without more info about bait reel etc im stuck.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 05:24PM

First, you can't (legally) fish for goliath grouper in Florida.

Most bottom fishing off the west coast of Florida requires a decent amount of lead. Grouper fishing in general requires the ability to manhandle the fish away from bottom sturcture. So want enough tip to handle the lead and enough backbone to move the fish. Now once you get the fish coming your way the battle is easier. Then you can appreciate a more moderate action rod that reduces the lever arm.

My two top choices are somewhat at odds. One would be the the lamiglas tri-flex gcbt type blanks. It is a bit of an old school choice. It won't bend enough to reduce lever arm so it can be a back killer. The next would be one of Billy's Hercules series. IMHO I wouldn't fish less than 30# class for larger grouper and I couldn't fish more than 50-60# standing up.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. IMHO it might come down to physical size/stamina/age of the angler. At this point in my life I'd pick the Hercules. That said I don't own one but do own tri-flex's.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 20, 2014 06:38PM

That is why I asked who is the rod for

What is wrong with this picture ???
Some one that knows nothing about fishing and the first rod is for Grouper --- Sure

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Blocker (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 08:01PM

It is for her brother.

Posted by: Scott A Randall (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 08:01PM

I just fished a head boat out of Clearwater fla this past Sunday Any grouper has to be 20 and 1/4 inches to keep. We were approximately 20 miles out in 60' of water aprox. The "house" rod had a penn 60 conventional the rod was 5' tall and only had 4 guides all of which had no ring inside. They all had a custom wood handle approx 12' We fished fluorocarbon line the biggest was 14 lbs and many were over 10 lbs this type of boat rod worked sweet and were all over twenty years old. They were all made for the charter ( I asked) the charter was queens fleet check their website for pics but I am going to make one like this soon for my next trip to fla

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2014 12:53AM

I may be out of line here, but could you not explain to the world’s greatest sister that a custom build rod means it is built specifically to the fisherman. Examples would be arm length, belly girth, bait & wait, lures, line, preferred prey, experience and reel used. Then make up a computer generated gift card to give brother for the estimated amount. The lucky brother could pay for any upgrades he wants. BUT here is the catch, it would have to be done by credit card or pay pal to protect both parties.

If nothing else it is an out of the box suggestion.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lnse4.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 21, 2014 03:31AM

I'd throw the Phenix Megalodon into the mix. It has the right taper and has the blank available in 6'. I really like these blanks and they will suit this sort of fishing. I just don't know the size of the target fish and therefore line capacity and reel.
What I can tell you though is the smallest model at a PE 2 to 4 rating is very strong and is well suited to 40lb line.
I'm only guessing as I don't know the size of the target fish but either the next size up or perhaps even the third in the line up is probably what you are after. If I had nothing to go on I would pick the 2nd one, the PE 3-6, MPX-607-C-B.
Hope this helps.

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: March 21, 2014 09:25AM

Hey Russ you certainly can fish for goliath I have been on tv 3 times fishing for them. Charlie Moore, And Trev Goudie twice. You cannot remove them from the water and must return them unharmed.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2014 01:39PM

I've sold HErcules 60XH's and Super Seeker CTS60XH's for GRouper ot guys fishing in FLorida. Lots of good info shared here, I do not do this fishing to know recommend a blank, but have done it a couple of times and spoke to several people abotu what they use and like and picked blanks and components accoridingly for them

Date: March 21, 2014 09:10PM

.OK

You need a starting point
IF
you can get her to find out his favorite rod and get the numbers off it
This will give you some thing to work at An idea of what he likes

You have gotten many Good Ideas of what is used
Also go online and look up grouper rods Another way to find ideas

Mike Quinn's idea is a good one This way he can come to you and you can build him Just What He Wants

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2014 10:00PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First, you can't (legally) fish for goliath
> grouper in Florida.
>

Catching and Releasing Goliath Grouper

Goliath grouper are a prohibited species; therefore the species receives greater protection to ensure its continued health. FWC rules stipulate that harvest and possession of goliath grouper is prohibited. Goliath grouper that are caught but immediately returned to the water free, alive and unharmed are not harvested.

You can fish for them...you just can't keep them.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 21, 2014 11:06PM

You guys are right. I worded it poorly. My intent was to say I didn't think he should build a rod based on needs to catch jewfish as most people are looking to keep the grouper they catch.

I'm of the frame of mind that it is quite hard to be sure you aren't causing harm so I wouldn't intentionally fish for a protected species. I guess I equate the term "fishing" with eating the edible fish I catch. I stand corrected.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster