I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod handle for a spincast reel
Posted by: James Francis (---.wmisdsl.com)
Date: March 20, 2014 11:22AM

Does anyone here build rods specifically designed for spincast reels? Most older spincast reels feel like they're sitting too high on the handle when used on a standard blank-through trigger grip. I can't find a source for an offset handle anymore where the blank attached to the front of the handle.

The newer spincast reels sit closer to the foot but the older ones were taller and the thumb button doesn't fall naturally under the thumb when a straight blank is gripped.

So has anyone worked up a design for fans of vintage spincast reels?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod handle for a spincast reel
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 12:20PM

Jim,
One thing that would work rather well would be to turn a Wood handle for the rod.

Then, drill the center hole off set from the center and possibly at an angle to expedite the feel for the rod.

Before making the final version, take a block of wood or large dowel and do some practice drilling into the wood where and how you want it.

Remember, with a wood handle, the handle is strong enough, such that you do not need to drill the hole for the blank all of the way through the handle.

If you drill the handle 4 inches, you should have enough strength to hold up just fine for a fishing reel.

Another thing that you could do, would be to find a vintage offset pistol grip rod at a good will, or salvation army store. Remove the old blank from the handle, and perhaps replace the grips.

Then, screw on the new blank and finish the rod. The nice thing about these handles is that you can build your rod without using the handle. Just use a temporary conventional handle to hold the blank while turning and then replace it with the final offset grip.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2014 01:21PM

You have another option as well. In a recent issue of RodMaker we showed how to bore your seat arbors offset from the center so that the seat itself will sit lower on the rod blank.

Date: March 20, 2014 01:22PM

Thanks Mr. Wilson.

I already have several old handles that I could refurbish. Netcraft still sells a pistol-grip handle and I actually have two, but they're pretty cheap and generic looking. I was trying to do something a bit more custom.

Fuji has the ESCM grip that says it has a 7 1/2deg offset, but it's not clear where the offset is. Some here thought it was in the trigger which wouldn't be useful in this case. Fuji hasn't replied to my inquiry about it yet.

Your idea about a wooden handle gives me an idea. If I used a standard trigger seat glued to the blank so the butt end was flush with the butt end of the seat, then carve/turn a piece of wood that would fit inside the butt end of the blank with a downward bend that the grip would glue to. Anyone tried anything like this or have a different idea?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 01:56PM

I have a few of the Lew's Fuji Speed Grips from the 70's and 80's if that is what you are looking for send me an e-mail.

Posted by: Rod Churchward (---.lns20.bne1.internode.on.net)
Date: March 20, 2014 03:22PM

Hi Jim,
For a bit more custom look, you could try a piece of curved stag horn.
Regards, Rod.
Mboro. Qld.
Australia.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 21, 2014 11:18PM

The 15 deg. offset reel seat from Super Sticker has been around for a longtime, was used by G Loomis for many years on their high end rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2014 11:20PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: March 22, 2014 12:00PM

I've searched around and it seems the Super Sticker seats aren't available anymore. From what I've read about it, it may be way out of my price range anyway.

I appreciate the offer for the Lew's/Fuji handles but I already have two of those.

I still haven't received a reply from Fuji about the offset in the ESCM seat. The email at Angler's Resource doesn't work either. If I'm understanding correctly the offset in the ESCM is just a smaller offset than the Super Sticker, 7 1/2 deg vs 15 deg.

I'd also like to see that article in Rodmaker about drilling for an offset. Is it available for viewing anywhere?

The picture I'm forming is to raise the front of the grip above the seat which will have the effect of lowering the bottom of the seat so the reel effectively sits lower. Make sense, or am I overlooking something?

BTW does anyone know who made the handles for Shakespeare back in the 80's? They were similar to the Lews/Fuji but were made of aluminum (?) and used a threaded ring at the front to secure the reel instead of the keeper/screw setup.

Date: March 23, 2014 11:09AM

I get the 15 deg offset SuperSticker all the time from Angler's Workshop, the design still used on the Edge Rods by Gary Loomis.

Date: March 23, 2014 11:27AM

I get the 15 deg offset SuperSticker all the time from Angler's Workshop, the design still used on the Edge Rods by Gary Loomis.
Because of the offset, the diameter of the blank you can use is restricted. On the Fuji there is no such restriction, leading me to believe that the offset would be in relation to the bore, which looks similar to their other reels eats.

Date: March 23, 2014 12:03PM

I see they have a handle kit that possibly comes in three different versions. There aren't any specs as to dimensions or differences between them. Or am I missing something there?

I take it they only sell the kits and not just the seat.

EDIT: Never mind. I found them by looking at the on-line catalog. The website doesn't show all the details.

I'll have to order a catalog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2014 02:11PM by Jim Siadak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster