I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork grip stuck
Posted by: Scott Moore (---.ma.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2014 07:32PM

made custom cork grip. used the threaded 1/4 steel rod with washers and wingnuts. standard wood glue to connect the cork rings. never had this problem before. I know part of the problem is over zealous wood glue most likely but for getting this grip dislodged do you have any ideas. btw i'm semi new to rod building. i have built several rods but have by no means become a pro. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork grip stuck
Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: March 17, 2014 07:47PM

Two options:

1) grip the threaded rod securely and unscrew the grip from the rod
2) build up a series of washers,(a cone) ending with the largest against the cork(about the same size as the cork if possible) and again securing the threaded rod, use a wrench and nut to force the grip off the threaded rod.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 17, 2014 08:15PM

Using Chris' option one double nut one end, cinch tight against each other than the rod should be locked enough to use a wrench to unthread the rod from the grip.

Date: March 17, 2014 09:03PM

good ideas ill get back to you. soon

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: March 17, 2014 09:54PM

Next time consider rubbing the threaded rod against a toilet seat wax gasket to get some wax in the threads before putting the rings onto the rod. And using a paste type epoxy keeps the glue off the threads, too.
s

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 17, 2014 10:19PM

I simply chuck the rod in a drill and back it out.

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: March 17, 2014 10:24PM

Some also use teflon pipe tape over the rod before sliding the rings on.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2014 12:09AM

Why use threaded rod for the cork ring glue up, when you can use smooth, waxed steel mandrels for glue up AND turning? Tom has shown how to make a cork clamp . [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2014 11:00AM

x10 on Michael's comment.

Chuck the rod in a variable speed drill.
Put the drill in reverse and unscrew the threaded rod from the grip.

Be safe

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: March 18, 2014 11:04AM

I use teflon tape when using a threaded rod for glue up. Works really well and will not transfer to the cork.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 18, 2014 11:56AM

Toilet seat gasket? That stuff is nasty and too soft for my likes, I just have an old candle I rub on the threads.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 18, 2014 06:25PM

I use the candle from dollar store to rub a threaded mandrel. Any candle will actually work, but some recommend to avoid scented candles because the scent chemicals may decrease the bond between rings (read this on one forum few years ago, but not sure if this is true)
Other option then a drill may be a vise. Secure the mandrel in a vise. Then just unscrew by hand

Date: March 18, 2014 08:20PM

good news using a coupling nut and a wrench i was able to dislodge the cork. Also as i and all of you properly suspected it was all due to excessive glue. I could not use my variable drill as it did not have enough torque. thanks chris for the tip and everyone else for the preventive tips.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 18, 2014 08:25PM

lots of things you can do , as cork is flexable some what , so you can use a dril , to break one end an then work to the other end , don't try an do it all at one time , you will feel it move a little then move on to a different part of the grip, I use a vice to hols the threaded rod an work from one to the other end , if you try to break it all at one time you will do damage the cork handle , it looks like you did not put suffent wax on the rod ,
I also put painters masking tape [ blue or green ] on rod before the wax , all wax works but the stickey wax is the best bee's wax work's best for me an screew the rings on to the rod don't just push them on
MY 2 cts SID PS some times no matter what you do it is a lost cause the handle will hot come off it just breaks on the rod

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2014 09:06PM

Threaded rod??????? Like Jerry,I like a 1/4 smooth mandrel with a bit of butchers wax on it. Excellent results. Toilet bowl wax????????? I'm a plumber. You DON'T want that stuff all over your cork grip. Trust me!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster