I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help! Epoxy looks a little footballish
Posted by: jason vallotton (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 17, 2014 12:55PM

How do I fix the epoxy that's lumpy and a bit footballish after its hardened? This is my first build.

Thanks guys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! Epoxy looks a little footballish
Date: March 17, 2014 01:13PM

I know why that happened, it's not crazy bad but I was wondering if I could sand the epoxy a bit to level it then thin coat it.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 17, 2014 01:22PM

Carefully slice it off with a double-edge razor blade or Exacto knife, trim the edges of the sliced off area close to round, and recoat with a thin layer of epoxy. If you did a good job rounding the old finish with the bland the topcoat will level out nice. It is better to slice it off than sand it down. you'll end up with better results vs. sanding. If done correctly, you'll never know it was repaired.

The reason I prefer a double edge razor vs a single edge is because the double edge is a lot sharper and it can also be bent to mimic the roundness of the blank when you work it to round the edges of the old finish. With a stiff blade, you have to make a lot of small light shaving cuts to smooth out the roundness of the trimmed down area.

Both will work, it's just easier with a flexible blade than a stiff one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 01:32PM by John E Powell.

Date: March 17, 2014 01:39PM

Thanks! Why is sanding bad?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2014 01:55PM

If the rod is for your own use just keep it the way it is. It won't hurt a thing. Then practice your finishing technique on test wraps until you get it perfect.

Date: March 17, 2014 02:04PM

Randolph, my perfectionism won't let me keep it that way :) I want to learn how to fix mistakes, not just be able to do everything perfect the first time.

Thanks j

Posted by: Scott D parsons (204.62.140.---)
Date: March 17, 2014 02:38PM

You can sand just be very careful that you don't dig into the threads, use 4-600 grit. Footballs usually occur in my experience by applying to much finish on at one time, so put on a little less and this should help with your technique.

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Date: March 17, 2014 03:30PM

Scott, thanks a bunch. When you say 4-600 grit is that just normal paper or something special?

Thanks heaps, j

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 17, 2014 03:55PM

Sanding is slower, especially if you have a lot to remove. It is much more time efficient to carefully slice away finish and then work the edges of the cuts with a curved blade. If you prefer, save the sandpaper till the end and use it once you have the bulk of the finish sliced away. But I think if you try both, you'll find it's a lot quicker using a careful hand with the curved double-edge razor blade.

You have to judge your skill set on this. Some people can't handle a double-edge razor without slicing themselves along with the finish. If you fear you fall into that group, then an Exacto knife if probably a better tool for you to use.

Date: March 17, 2014 03:59PM

Thanks John!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 17, 2014 05:44PM

I have never had a problem sanding. I don't think you even need to worry about too rough of a grit. You just need to not get into the threads.

All that said I find I have much better control using a file. Then wet sand with a fine grit wet/dry sandpaper....not because it is needed but because it gets rid of all the flakes of old epoxy.....and that is important.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2014 06:14PM

If when you put your finish on and you are not sure if you put too much or not you can after all are coated Stop the turner and with the guides UP you don;t want the finish to run onto the rings let the finish sag and with your brush take the drip off each guide Then take the rod and turn it to make sure the drip will flow into the rest of the finish This should take enough off so they are level

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster