I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide placement?
Posted by: Mike Ortega (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2014 02:25PM

When using the KW guides is there any reason I should start with a KW6J then go to KW5.5J? Or could I just use 2, 5.5's, or 1 or whatever? Running guides will be 4.5J or 5J fly guides. This will be for a 6'6" medium power fast action bass casting rod. Using Abu Garcia revo premier baitcasting reel.

Also, Any thoughts on how far from the front of the baitcasting reel the first KW guide should be? Using Fuji ECSM reel seat.

Thanks agin for any help.
-Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide placement?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 16, 2014 05:14PM

Mike,
Have you looked at the video on the Fuji site? I think it explains the system pretty well and their recommendations for you rod build.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.dhcp.nwnn.ga.charter.com)
Date: March 16, 2014 07:15PM

I have built two bait casting rods using the Fuji recommendations for the KR concept for casting. They only required a little tweaking during the loading tests. I used the 10 DF, 5.5 DF,, and then 4.5 KB and 4.5 KT's I was really please with the results. The rods cast further than other casting builds I had done. I was really pleased

Bert

Date: March 16, 2014 10:25PM

Spencer, can you post a link to that video? I can't find it on Fuji website.

Thanks
-Mike

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2014 01:31AM

If you're sold on Fuji, that's fine...However I recently built a Microwave bait cast rod.
There was no @#$%& with DF - KB - KT multiple sizes and heights and no adjusting back and forth.
It was KISS ...Slap them on and lace them up!

Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: March 17, 2014 05:05AM

Mike
I usually go around 19"-22" from center of reel seat
just look at the sponsor area click on angler resource for the video ( [www.youtube.com] )

Garry
i think it's the interesting side of fuji concept. you can use your creativity based on your experience on work bench or water to achieve your ultimate rod for any specific purpose
it's not a guide kit that you can used on any blanks or any purposes

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 17, 2014 09:20AM

x10 Ernest.

Posted by: Mike Ortega (8.28.19.---)
Date: March 17, 2014 10:01AM

thanks for the info guys. Do I really need to use a size 10 double foot? That seems awful big? Currently I use TLNSG #8 then #6 to size 5 running guides with good performance. I was hoping to lose some weight and gain better performance and go with KW #6 to #5.5 then 4.5 running guides.. Has anyone built with this setup or done any test casting with it?

Also, do the 4.5's require a forhan locking wrap?

Thank's,
-Mike

Posted by: Mike Ortega (8.28.19.---)
Date: March 17, 2014 10:07AM

Garry, ive looked at the microwave guides and even though they seem like they could improve performance, I hate the way they look and that they will add extra weight to my rod. For those reasons I could never use them.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2014 02:14PM

Mike Ortega Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Also, do the 4.5's require a forhan locking wrap?
>

Here is where I found the answer when I did not know. [www.youtube.com]

Thank you John Cates.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 02:18PM by mike quinn.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 17, 2014 03:28PM

Mike: Start with a KW6 at about 19-20 inches. Fuji recommends the KW10 to account for the wave of line introduced by the change in spool direction on a cast but provided it's a LOW PROFILE baitcaster you should be OK with a 6 as a stripper. I usually go 7 to 5.5 (or 5) and it works well. We are waiting for the Reverse K Stripper called an "RV" and it is a size 6 (only) so there is no question that a 6 is big enough...just a question about it being tall enough. Tape and test.

Posted by: robert kravic (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 17, 2014 04:12PM

mike i always say use the lightest guides you can get away with and my last two baitcasters i spiral wrapped with a 5.5 titainium fly for the stripper as its a bit taller than the reg micros then 4's and finished with 3.5's for the runners with a sz 4 tip and it works fine. after pulling out a couple guides i use the forhan locking wrap on all of them, why take a chance. another tip to save alot of weight is cut that ecsm into two pieces and sand it down smaller and don't forget to cut down the threads also.

Date: March 18, 2014 07:01PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna go with the kW 6 stripper, then kW 5.5 and 4.5 tlsg runners. I've never done a locking wrap but I've been watching videos so I'll give it a try.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster