I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning Acrylic
Posted by: Scott Cmelik (132.3.49.---)
Date: March 16, 2014 08:37AM

I have been looking at a lot of grips in the picture and I am really liking the look of adding acrylic accents to my new rod build. My question is can acrylic be turned on a drill lathe and shaped with sandpaper? I don't have a true lathe or gouges to use, so I am concered about trying to turn it with sandpaper and putting scratches in it and then it turning at a much slower rate than the cork.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning Acrylic
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2014 09:33AM

We've had many articles on various uses and methods for using acrylic in RodMaker. Yes, you can shape it with sandpaper but expect to take a long, long time. It's hard stuff and the actual sizing and shaping is much more easily done with a scraper (or reverse scraper) than with sandpaper.

Scratches are removed by sanding with progressively finer and finer grades of sandpaper. I finish my acrylic pieces by going up through about 600 grit and then polishing with blue Dico plastic polish. There are other ways to finish them, of course, such as the excellent micro mesh sanding papers, but I find the former to give equal results much more quickly and with less work.

Here's a couple of clear ones where clarity is particularly important. But all these materials are similar and can be handled the same way.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: March 16, 2014 09:41AM

thanks Tom. When you say scraper are you talking a lathe gouge or a different tool all together? Right now I am considering this but like I said before I want to use it as accents so it will be integrated with cork rings so its gonna be shaped all together which is going to make for some issues I am concerned.

Date: March 16, 2014 09:43AM

Yes, it's a lathe turning tool. Some turn acrylic with actual gouges or even skews, but I find a round nose scraper works best for me.

Date: March 16, 2014 10:12AM

thanks tom. I think this i am going to have to sideline this project for right now unfortunately.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2014 10:43AM

Tom

What type of glue did you use to glue them on I figured glue would show up under them

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 16, 2014 10:53AM

You color the epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2014 02:39PM

Tint rod bond ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 16, 2014 04:16PM

I use a liquid epoxy for that, but you can color RodBond if you wish.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 16, 2014 04:25PM

Hello Bill.

I only find 2 Acrylic articles, 1 (the main one) V13-#6 Pg. 10("Crystal Clear Acrylic Handles"), the second in V14 #4 Pg. 19("Acrylic Turning Tips").
There is also an article in V8 #5 Pg. 10("Turning Polyester Castings"), and if you want to learn how to make polyester castings there is an article("Adventures In Polyester Casting") in the V8 #3 RM magazine.

Note to TOM the article in V8 #5 states "Joe's original article on casting and using polyester resin appeared in the Volume 8, Number 4 issue of RodMaker Magazine." when in fact it is in the V8 #3.

Hope That Helps Bill.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2014 05:42PM

Using sandpaper when turning acrylic together with cork is a real problem! They cut a vastly different rates! The cork will cut so much faster, that keeping them even is almost impossible without using a tool that allows you to cut the acrylic alone. When close to finishing you can use sandpaper backed by something flat to achieve a scratch free finish.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: March 19, 2014 11:43AM

Another thought provoking question.

I'm a scrapper fan myself. I've been using a Poly Urethane glue (think GG type) lately for reel seats and handles.

I do paint (usually white or black) the inside (hole) of the acrylic blanks before gluing.

I also hate turning plastic ... this is what my lathe looks like after turning

[s1.bild.me]

[s1.bild.me]

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 23, 2014 07:01PM

I have seen duck call builders flaming the acrylic lightly with a torch in order to "polish" it. Has anyone tried this?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster