I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Guide Question
Posted by: Scott Cmelik (132.3.49.---)
Date: March 15, 2014 02:00PM

I have read a ton of threads on micro guides and I am still not sure about a few things on and I am hoping that you guys can help out.

First question is whether or not micro guides are right for the build that I am working on. I am rebuilding an old Berkely Cherrywood spinning rod, it is a 6'6" medium light two piece rod. This rod will be used for casting smaller 1/8th ounce jigs and possibly smaller cranks for walleyes.

Second question is, IF micros are right for my build, how many guides do I need for a 6'6" rod and what do I need or what should I use for a stripper guide?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Guide Question
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2014 03:12PM

Scott,

Micros will work well on that rod. Choose your butt guide and reduction guides for your spinning rod according to the system you are using. My personal spinning rods use a Batson Y frame 20mm, 10mm, single foot fly 5mm, and 3mm micros to the tip. Read up on Fuji's KR system, and/or the use of taller match guides for the reduction train if you really want to shed some weight. Any future spinning rod I build for myself will likely make use of the Microwave butt and reduction guide, with the runners replaced by 4mm micros. I am more than impressed with the performance and the setup is fool proof.

The number of guides will depend on your preferences and the static test. Somewhere between 7 and 11 guides + tip top, most likely about 8 or 9.

Joe

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: March 15, 2014 04:33PM

You need no more or fewer guides with micro spinning rods vs conventional. If you want knots to go through them, you may want to go a little bigger than 3. Try it out, learn a small line to line knot. A disadvantage to the taller guide setups is that they don't fit into rod tubes as readily as shorter guides. With a light rod set up for light lines it is possible you can get away with two reduction guides, the rest being the micros. Joe's layout sounds good to me as long as knots are not an issue.

Posted by: Scott Cmelik (132.3.49.---)
Date: March 16, 2014 08:12AM

Scott Cmelik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have read a ton of threads on micro guides and I
> am still not sure about a few things on and I am
> hoping that you guys can help out.
>
> First question is whether or not micro guides are
> right for the build that I am working on. I am
> rebuilding an old Berkely Cherrywood spinning rod,
> it is a 6'6" medium light two piece rod. This rod
> will be used for casting smaller 1/8th ounce jigs
> and possibly smaller cranks for walleyes.
>
> Second question is, IF micros are right for my
> build, how many guides do I need for a 6'6" rod
> and what do I need or what should I use for a
> stripper guide?

I appreciate the help that is some good information. Thanks for making things even more confusing HAHA.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2014 02:48PM

If your knots do not clear the rings -- your guide is too small
Only you will be able to tell buy buying several sizes and check to see
Then set them up on a rod and static test and test cast

There is NO definite answer

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2014 01:50AM

I have built about 9 microwave rods so far.
All are Ultra-light, Med-light or Medium rods.
I use 10 pound braid, and sometime use a Fluoro leader or a slip bobber.
The size 5 running guides will pass any uni to uni or nail knot that I might tie.
There are smaller knots, like the Allbright, but I want to give you real world examples.
The only question I might have is why put a $40.00 set of guides on a $25.00 rod?
You could re-rig with Hialoy etc. for about $13.00

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2014 05:52PM

Or minima's ??

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster