I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What do you all think is the minimum ring I.D. needed to pass a 10# braid to 8# flouro knot?
Posted by: Tony C Robinson (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 11:41PM

I am trying to decide how small an inner diameter I can with go on my micros. The guides would need to pass a leader knot joining 10# braid to a 8# flouro leader.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you all think is the minimum ring I.D. needed to pass a 10# braid to 8# flouro knot?
Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: March 15, 2014 02:17AM

what kind of knot?
what brand of braid and leader?
it's very wide possibility since every braid , flouro and knot has different diameter
i think only yourself can answer your question
just make a connection with your own line and use caliper to measure it
good luck

Re: What do you all think is the minimum ring I.D. needed to pass a 10# braid to 8# flouro knot?
Posted by: Peter Richardson (---.range86-128.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 15, 2014 06:50AM

The smallest knot I know is the FG knot. Lots of YouTube vids on it. I use it most of the time. Takes a while learn. Very strong.

Date: March 15, 2014 08:38AM

ernest sebastian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what kind of knot?
> what brand of braid and leader?
> it's very wide possibility since every braid ,
> flouro and knot has different diameter
> i think only yourself can answer your question
> just make a connection with your own line and use
> caliper to measure it
> good luck

I'm using a Slim Beauty knot with Power Pro Slick 8 and Berkeley Vanish flouro as a leader. I assumed I would need a passage larger than just the diameter of the knot for it to be passed efficiently.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2014 09:29AM

Tony,
Any time that I am concerned with a knot passing guides, I will use at least a size 4 tip and guide, but most of the time a size 6.

You certainly don't want to be hanging the knot up in the tip and guides in case a larger knot needs to be passed.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: March 15, 2014 04:50PM

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with the FG knot, IMNHO. I think there are more easily tied knots that have better reliability, based on reviews of the knot that I have read. A reliable old standard that is easy to tie is the double uni, but it can get a bit bulky. I think it uses 5 layers of both lines, and 5 layers of 10 pound mono or flouro is a a bit large for micros. If you can reliably tie an Albright, it is the smallest knot that doesn't take a college degree to ty. It uses just two layers of the leader and three of the braid.

If I were to build a rod where I wanted knots to pass, I would do like Roger and use small single foot fly guides in 5.5 or 6. I don't see the advantage of micros as being all that compelling, and would prefer not to worry about whether my knot will pass.

Posted by: robert kravic (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 16, 2014 09:52AM

the skinniest leader knot i have found is a modified albright.

Date: March 16, 2014 11:21AM

I used to use the modified Albright as it was much stronger than the double uni I had been using, but now I use the Slim Beauty. What I prefer about the SB is that the tag end of the leader points rearward thus presenting no possibility of snagging some on it's way out.

Posted by: Tom Osthoff (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 16, 2014 12:50PM

I have size 3 micro's on all three of my shakey head rods. I have Suffix 832 10# braid with a 10# fluoro leader attached with a knot called a Alberto knot. This is a modified albright knot and i have been using it to join all my braid / fluoro leaders for probably five years now. Very strong and the knot is very slim. Takes a little time to learn to tie but well worth it. I found it on the Striper.com board. I also use nothing but braid on all my spin rods and they too have the same #3 micro's for the running guides. I have one heavy spin outfit with these #3's that I use 20# Suffix 832 with a 15# fluoro leader and they work fine. The key is the size / diameter on the knot in my opinion. My two cents worth.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2014 02:44PM

Do a search on Fishing line knots and you will find a lot that even show how to tie in slow motion

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2014 07:10PM

I'm using #4 Alconites and 3.5 SiC and have no problem passing 10# braid with 6# and 8# leaders. I use a uni-uni knot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster