I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

staining an unfinished graphite blank
Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.cityofanderson.com)
Date: March 12, 2014 08:57PM

Was wondering if anyone had tried staining an unfinished blank. I have a customer who saw one of my builds on a Batson F905-5 and liked the dark blue color. I am building a MHX HM843 casting rod for her father and she "likes this color...can we do this?' I have painted blanks before with auto paint/hardener/permagloss with great results, but wondering who had tried a "transparent" stain. Couple of questions
1. Would it even work on such a dark colored blank?
2. If so, what type of stain would I need to use that wouldn't break down the fibers/resins in the blank?
3.Or should I just try to talk her out of it and tell her that one of the reasons the blank is "unfinished" is for its lighter weight?
4. Or try to talk her into a "pretty" SCV-SCIV blank?
Her dad is a long time amatuer tournament fisherman and I think he would be more focused on performance vs having a pretty blue blank
Thank you,
Jared

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: staining an unfinished graphite blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2014 09:03PM

Let me just toss this out there - since you believe he's focused more on performance than having a "pretty blue blank" why not stick with the blank as is, but use a nice dark blue thread for your guide wraps and any other decorative wraps you might do?

Date: March 12, 2014 09:27PM

Thanks Tom, I had considered this, but this is a "commissioned" rod from daughter to father. It's a gift and I hate to say this, but she was just looking at some pics, and saw something that caught her eye. I just wanted to throw the idea out to the masses to see if anyone had tried to do it. I would much rather just wrap in a pretty colored thread and do some marbling above the grips. I think I will just show her some pics of the different colored wraps and possibly marbling or decorative thread wraps and see if i can talk her out of it. Or just look for another colored blank... Thanks for the quick answer

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2014 09:36PM

Jared,
Basically a fishing rod blank is made of either fiberglass or graphite.

[fiberglassflyrodders.com]

Date: March 12, 2014 09:42PM

The problem is that even if you find the color blank you want, the particular specs might not be what you want. Although - take a look at the Rodgeeks website and see what they may have. They can do custom colors.

It is possible to "tint" a blank with tinted PermaGloss, although it'll be a very subtle effect. It is very durable and light, however.

Date: March 12, 2014 09:59PM

Thanks. I will check out the rodgeeks site. Dumb question, but do you tint the PermaGloss with something like Testor's model paint (acrylic or enamel) or a liquid paint pigment? I personally would rather NOT try to color the blank. I know that the blanks might not be the particular color she wants but could show her a couple different colors/blanks in the spec range that he/she is wanting. It seems that sometimes too many choices are detrimental to nailing down what someone is looking for.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2014 10:19AM

Why not instead of spending days trying to find a way to color your blank just tell them that what they are asking for is just not possible. Let them know that the blank color that you're trying to reproduce is applied after the blank has been made at the factory and you have no way of applying a tint of the same color as well as what comes from the manufacturer.

Sometimes you just have to tell the customer that a certain procedure can't be done and to offer different alternatives that are easier and quicker to achieve.

Lance

Date: March 13, 2014 11:38AM

You can tint PG with the solids from the bottom of a Testor's bottle, or even colored chalk, finely ground. But don't expect it to be opaque or even close. It'll just be a fine tint noticeable in the sunlight.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 13, 2014 01:42PM

You can paint a graphite blank. I'm not so sure you can stain a graphite blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 13, 2014 03:03PM

i would suggest looking at the Batson blanks try to find a ( blue ) blank with the specks for her If not
You can get a lighter and Longer And trim

Or try a search here on tinting PG Try Utmost Enterprises

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 09:34AM

Gentlemen, thanks to you all.
Lance, that is what I told her in a nutshell. That the blank was a factory blank, it was a factory finish and that whatever tinting I could do, I wasn't sure how visible it would be. I told her that i could search for a different blank with similar specs that had a factory finish with some color. I also offered to paint the blank or do some marbling, but told her that ,although slight, it would add weight to the blank. She finally decided on sticking with the same blank, and marbling only the split grip area. I think she was almost afraid that this "custom" rod for her dad was going to look like an "off the rack" rod.

Tom, I am going to try tinting with Testors and Permagloss on some scrap pieces of blank to see what the results look like for future reference.

Phil, yes. I have painted a couple of blanks and they turned out pretty good. A tangerine orange Chicago bears rod with navy wraps/ white trim and navy/orange/white marbling. And a scarlet red Marine corps rod with gold eyes, navy wraps/ gold trim. They were matching Batson ISB822.5 blanks for my brothers in law. They do a lot of light (1/8 oz) tube jigs for smallmouth in Michigan. I do love that dropshot blank!

Bill, I had thought of looking at a couple Batson blanks as well. But she wanted a high modulus rod and (I could be mistaken) I think that the Rx8 come in a Ti-chrome finish.
Appreciate all the responses and input. Your knowledge (collectively and individually) is worth it's weight in gold

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 09:33PM

I spray painted a sanded finish blank with Hot Hues "Lazer Blue Candy Concentrate" auto candy color mixed per instructions with automotive urethane clear coat and it is translucent, a lot like the Batson RX6 fly rods. Any auto paint supply will have candy colors, they normally apply over silver metallic on cars. If you do it over the bare graphite you get that graphite showing through.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2014 12:25PM

take a look at DupliColor They should have some thing that will work

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 15, 2014 11:50PM

Thanks Greg and Bill. I've got a wonderful auto paint shop local. They helped me find and mixed the "right" colors on my Bears and USMC rod in DuPont auto paint. We cross referenced the "official" Pantone colors because the Duplicolor colors for those builds weren't close enough. But I will definitely keep that in mind. My wife really liked that shade of blue also and I might try shooting that color for my youngest son's rod. It's good to know that the Hot Hues color is somewhat similar. Appreciate it fellows!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster