I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom Phenix Spinning Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Cris Sunada (---.static.mtpk.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 12, 2014 08:56PM

I recently purchased an 8' Phenix Elixir blank FX802-2 (line rating 2-8, Fast, 1/32-3/8 oz, 2 piece) and I am looking for suggestions on the best set-up with higher end parts.

I will mostly be using the rod for shore fishing for trout in the eastern sierras. I know i want a split grip and am thinking about using micro guides.

I will be using a Shimano Stradic CI4+ 1000 reel.

Please let me know what you all think.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Phenix Spinning Rod Suggestions
Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 12, 2014 11:22PM

G'day Cris

I recently built up a St Croix 8ft one piece similiar specs to the blank you have.I used an aero seat plus custom cork,burl and birch grips that i turned up myself.
For the guides i used microwave tidalwaves.It was a split grip as well.I couldnt be happier with it as i use it for wading the flats casting small lures.I use a 2500
size reel.If you are going to use higher end parts see if you can get some custom grips made try Custom Fly Grips on the left if you cant make them yourself.
Hope this helps.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Cris Sunada (---.dhcp.mtpk.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 13, 2014 12:26AM

Thanks Ray.

Did you use the 9-piece set only or did you add any additional running guides? What tip did you use?

Date: March 13, 2014 02:54AM

G'day Cris

I used the 9 piece set no need for any additional guides.And used a fuji titsic tip top.If you are fishing freshwater you may not want to go for titanium.

Good luck with your build.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 13, 2014 09:14AM

Titanium TORZITE K-Series with a size 12 stripper.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2014 05:36PM

Hi Cris,

Consider the MicroWave Line Control System. It is outstanding for casting light weight lures etc. especially with light line. If you want to go higher end then look at the Tidal Wave sets but if it were me I would focus on efficiency and performance which is why MWG’s are ideal on this type of rod. Would probably want to go with the set of 9 and add a running guide or two.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Cris Sunada (---.dhcp.mtpk.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 13, 2014 10:31PM

Thanks for the input Darrin. I am definitely going to use the tidal wave nanolite. What tip do you recommend and can you provide me with suggested guide spacing for the 8'?

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2014 03:28PM

Hi Cris,

Awesome, I think you’ll like them. I don’t have an 8’ suggestion although with my last build I started with a shorter version and moved the guides around to look good when the rod is deflected(and with progressively spacing down the rod) and it casts like a charm. Someone here might have some specific suggestions however I would start by locating the stripping and transition guide and then go from there.

Feel free to call us if you have questions or need any help. (800)516-1750

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 04:52PM

8 foot rod start with 8 - 9 guides Static test Adjust

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 14, 2014 05:52PM

G'day Chris

My bad i did add an extra guide so it was 10 all up plus tip top.Just use the spacing for the fiirst 3 guides then do a static test for the rest.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster