I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Question
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2014 12:28AM

A customer asked me to put a hook helper on his St. Croix Legend Extreme rod. Looking at the thread on a guide it appears almost translucent . You can see the guide foot through it. Has anyone repaired one of these and would know what brand of thread and color is used by St. Croix? I have tried to match it with all the teal and green I have and nothing comes close

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thanks for any help on this.

Tom
Bel Air Maryland

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Question
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 12, 2014 01:02AM

Contact St. Croix, they will tell you the thread they use. The reason it looks translucent is that they did not use CP.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 12, 2014 07:40PM

Hello Tom.

I agree with Phil, it is probably just plain white thread with no CP.

However it won't hurt to check with St. Croix.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: March 12, 2014 08:58PM

Thanks fellows that is what I will do. Just thought I'd check here first in case anyone had already done one.

Tom

Posted by: James Francis (---.wmisdsl.com)
Date: March 13, 2014 02:29PM

If you find out, could you post it here so the rest of us will know, please?

Date: March 13, 2014 03:48PM

Well I spoke with the customer service department and here is what he said and didn't say. I asked for the color, size and manufacturer of the thread on the Legend Elite rods. He said the rod used Green / Blue Dun the green was A and the blue was B . He did not know the manufacturer of the thread. He didn't know what that all meant as he was reading it form a chart. Although he tried to be more helpful I guess they don't get a lot of calls about thread. So now I have to figure out what it is and where to find it.

Tom

Date: March 13, 2014 03:48PM

Well I spoke with the customer service department and here is what he said and didn't say. I asked for the color, size and manufacturer of the thread on the Legend Elite rods. He said the rod used Green / Blue Dun the green was A and the blue was B . He did not know the manufacturer of the thread. He didn't know what that all meant as he was reading it form a chart. Although he tried to be more helpful I guess they don't get a lot of calls about thread. So now I have to figure out what it is and where to find it.

Tom

Posted by: Jeremy Johnson (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2014 07:42PM

Fish hawk has a "blue dun".

Date: March 13, 2014 08:02PM

Hello Tom.

If he is right the Green would be on the bottom and the Blue Dun on top, if they follow the usual A under B.
Finding a size B should be possible but if you can't you will be in a bit of a scrape because you would then have to use another A or a D thread instead of the B.
Call Swampland and see if they can get you some Blue Dun in size B.

It's kind of hard to tell the colors in the post, but it looks like the darker color is on the bottom, hard to say though.
Just Green though no spring, medium, dark, or anything, just Green... Hummmm!!

Whatever you do I would try it on a scrap blank or a dowel painted the same color as your Blank before putting it on my good blank.
Any way you do it still no Color Preserver.

Good Luck
&
Tight Wraps
&
Tight Wraps

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: March 13, 2014 10:15PM

Thanks Bob. I'll give it a go with no CP. Yes no shade of green? I asked and he said that's all It says. I didn't want to push the issue. If I were going to remove a guide I would have had a better look at the thread but all I was doing was adding a hook keeper.

Tom

Bel Air, Md.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 10:33PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Geo Miller (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 13, 2014 11:47PM

This may be a little off the actual topic, but being a "newbie" I read all threads to see if I can learn anything. In his reply to the original question, Robert Guist, states in part:

"Green would be on the bottom and Blue Dun on top, if they follow the usual A under B."

Could someone explain that for me? Does it mean that a thread being used as an overwrap, is normally a larger diameter, than the thread it is covering? If so what would the normal combinations be? For instance if the underwrap is size A could you use a size D if size B wasn't available?

Regards

Geo Miller

Date: March 14, 2014 04:20AM

Hello Geo.

Yes you can, the thing is if you put a smaller size thread on top of a larger thread it would dig into the larger threads and be hard to make it look good.

But if you wanted the look of a larger thread under smaller thread, you could put the large thread down and epoxy it, let it cure then put the smaller one on top of that.

You could also put the large thread down, put CP on it, epoxy it let it cure and put the guide on with the smaller thread without CP and the top color will become translucent and you will see a slightly darker shade of the bottom color.

Hope this helps.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Geo Miller (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 09:27AM

Bob,

Thank you much, now I understand the reasoning.

Geo M

Date: March 14, 2014 03:55PM

Hello Geo.

Your Welcome.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster