I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Delicate Question
Posted by: Stephen Collins (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 05:37PM

As a someone that is new to rod building, I am not sure if asking this question will start a aurgument or not. That is not my intention, so if I am crossing a line, please let me know.

I have been reading on different boards, and seeing the comments about different suppliers. I am supprised at the anger some people have toward a supplier, and it seems that some one is mad at every supplier I have a link to.

My question is this. Is there one supplier that is "better" for a newbie to work with, or one that is better for folks that know what they are talking about when they call? As I am learning the language of the art, I don't want to call in an order and have a bad reputation with a supply house because I don't know the correct name or term to use for a specific part or product.

Thanks, and I am sorry if this starts or brings up any bad feelings.

Stephen

Normal is just a setting on the dryer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Delicate Question
Posted by: howard hodges (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 06:07PM

Stephen,
I'm also new to rod building but have been at it long enough to have done business with several of the suppliers on the left. I build bass and pan fish rods so I do not do much business with the fly rod people but have been lucky enough to have met a lot of these folks at the IRBC. I think you will find these suppliers top notch, always willing to help a new builder, and willing to work with you if there ever is a problem. You will also find the people on this forum extremely helpful with any problem. There are builders here that know more than you or I may ever know about rod building. Best of luck on your new adventure of rod building and by the way it's addicting.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 06:34PM

No single supplier is going to be everything to every rod builder - they may carry 90% of the items required and are not interested in the other 10%, they may be a little slower getting stuff out the door, their web site might be confusing, etc...

You will find your go to suppliers and will probably purchase most of your supplies from them - but it may take you a while to find out your preferences.

I honestly haven't had any big issues with the vendors I have used on the left hand side.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 06:40PM

I have dealt with many of the suppliers on the left and find all of those to be, courteous, helpful and a pleasure to do business with. Over time you will find at one or two carry more of the items you need, they will become your "go to!"

Don't be put off by the rants of a few hot heads.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: March 08, 2014 06:54PM

G'Day Stephen my experience with the suppliers on this board has been nothing but positive but in saying that there is a few that I always seem to use mainly because I feel more comfortable with them & that not imply that there is anything wrong with the others as they have all gone out of their way to help . As you become more involved in this addiction you will eventually settle on a couple of suppliers that can supply most of your requirements .I don't think one is better than another they just have a different way of doing business & I think that's the difference between them .

If you give them a call you should be pleasantly surprised at how helpful they all are. Freight costs seem to be the main sticking point with some people but my thought is that you know what the price before you complete your order so there is plenty of time to pull out of the transaction if you are not happy .For me speed of delivery is more important than a few dollars difference in shipping costs .Because of of the distance between the U.S. & OZ the shipping costs are high & that is the cost of doing business & those costs are built into the price of the rods .Hope this rant has been helpful.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 08:22PM

Stephen;
The replies to your question have been pretty solid this board has great sponsors/suppliers

Something that might help you in communicating with them is to read through the glossary link and learn some of the lingo. It will not only help to with your suppliers, you will better understand what builders are talking about when posting comments.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: March 08, 2014 08:47PM

I don't think there are any bad suppliers out there. If they were bad, they'd be gone by now. Most problems are misunderstandings. This is a tough business, and just imagine the inventory that has to be carried for all the options. I'm quite frankly surprised that they all do as well as they do. There seem to be two issues that tick off builders, shipping costs and the time it takes to get items that are out of stock. I've never found a supplier who wasn't willing to talk to me and tell me both the shipping costs and the time it will take to get parts. Call them, talk to them, get a mutual understanding of the transaction. If it doesn't meet your needs, find someone else. If no one meets your needs, then there may be a business opportunity for you. You become the supplier!

Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2014 12:12PM

Debating on commenting on this topic. I am surprised that you have seen very much negative information on rod building suppliers. The only issue that has been discussed recently has been shipping costs. I get frustrated with them on small orders but understand them.

I have ordered from a several suppliers and have only received great service. The one issued that is frustrating is having an item backordered that you need to complete a rod. If I am going to continue building I need to make the commitment and order a selection of guides, tip tops and winding checks. that way I have the items necessary on hand.

To carry this forward I have been surprised at the availability and service with rod manufactures, fly/spey line manufactures and reel companies. The level of customer service over all has been great. If the rest of the retail world was close we would live in a better world.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster