I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salmon plunking rod
Posted by: Jeff Hawkins (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 02:19AM

I want to build a 4 piece 12' rod for salmon plunking in the Pacific NW. I'll be throwing 8-12 ounces of lead and 1-3 ounces of lures on 30# braid. Haven't decided whether I'll put a spinning real for casting reel on it.

What blank would you recommend I build on?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salmon plunking rod
Posted by: mike johnson (---.dhcp.unas.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 09:52AM

four piece might be hard to find i would think a two piece would perform better . casting all that weight and depending where you fish you will may have to dislodge the weight or break it off when you bring it in

Posted by: P. Wayne Hart (---.cpe.citywest.ca)
Date: March 08, 2014 03:21PM

I'm always in a search for the ultimate plunking rod and I cannot remember finding a 4 pc blank strong enough for your needs in any length. Lamiglas has some surf blanks the will get close to your needs, but they are 1 and 2 piece.

Posted by: Jeff Hawkins (---.sub-174-255-162.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 03:24PM

How well might it work to purchase a one or two piece blank and cut it down into 4 pieces?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 04:04PM

Where are you going to be doing this "plunking"? From a riverbank, surf, boat? Why 12'? Most salmon rods in the PNW aren't made for casting 8-12 oz's of lead plus the bait. Where are you going to fish?

Posted by: Jeff Hawkins (---.sub-174-255-162.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 05:50PM

I'll be bank fishing in the Columbia or Willamette. Depending upon the river flow, it can take anywhere from 6 to 12 ounces of lead to keep your rig stationed. Otherwise, it is a slow drift into the next fisherman downstream.

12' would give me more leverage to get the rig farther out in the river.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 06:08PM by Jeff Hawkins.

Posted by: Bob Thurman (---.peak.org)
Date: March 08, 2014 10:18PM

CTS might be able to make a 4 piece for you special order. It would be a bit spendy.

Posted by: mike johnson (---.dhcp.unas.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 09, 2014 10:00AM

plunking for salmon and steelhead from the bank you need enough weight to hold the bottom in sometimes pretty fast current. you will have a spinglow on and maybe a slider with a plug herring ect. sinkers with hooks or railroad spikes, anywhere from foue to 12 oz. sometimes up to 20 plus on the extreme sid. at times you will have to really get it way out there , so the sturgeon and surf blanks work good for this. why a four piece??? small car?? lol we used to have 16 ft sturgeon rods that we tied over my volkswagen haha bumper to bumper.

Posted by: Jeff Hawkins (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 03:23PM

The main reason for four pieces is portability. We will sometimes hike a mile or 2 into a spot, and 6 foot sections of rod are difficult to maneuver through some of the brush lining the rivers here.

Would cutting the six foot sections in half and installing spigot ferrules work for this kind of an application, or is this type of salmion rod not good for somethjng like fhat?

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: March 09, 2014 06:19PM

I'm no expert on this subject, but I would be highly skeptical that spigot ferrules and the blank would hold up to this kind of duty. I would take a well designed-for-the-job factory blank and carry it in a tube to get through the brush rather than have a cobbled rod break.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2014 11:13AM

Why not put the rod in a Case This way what ever size it is nothing will contact it

You can make your own and put a strap on it and carry it like a rifle

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2014 11:16AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster