I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Kayaks
Posted by: Jim Levy (---.prvdri.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2014 02:26PM

What's the problem with a man modifying a rod to suit his style of fishing? I thought that the whole premise of a custom rod was to match it to the angler and it's intended use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: March 10, 2014 03:51PM

That's just it, when you cut the handle short you're not modifying it to fit the fishing technique, like swimbait, crankbait. worm, etc., you are modifying it to you can supposedly not get it hung on your clothes. So all your rods now have to have the same short handle no matter what the actual fishing technique is.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 11, 2014 06:57AM

Okay, I have a really dumb question. I can see how a kayak would be nice for shallow inshore waters. But what about big lakes and open ocean? I would think the wind would push you around a lot.

The really big question I wonder about is.....how to you handle a decent sized fish with serious teeth? I'm thinking it would be really tough to gaff a fish and get him into a cooler. I'm talking about fish like king mackeral.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2014 07:52AM

The wind doesn't have much to push against when you're talking about a kayak. Mackeral, barracudda, even sharks, etc. are routinely caught and landed from kayaks.

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2014 10:59AM

I have been kayak fishing for over 3 years now. I have a Wilderness ride 135 and my feet are in the same plane as my butt. Try going outside and sitting in your driveway with you legs straight out in front of you and see how the rod fits. I try and size the butt to my forearm anything beyond that is of no use anyway. Sorry Tom but in my opinion I think the shorter but is better for kayak fishing than a long butt.

I would rather see a means of being able to secure the rod to the yak for the time when someone turtles.

Corky
Corky's Custom Rods
Savannah, Georgia

Date: March 11, 2014 12:54PM

"I try to size the butt to my forearm anything beyond that is no use anyway"

And that's exactly how you'd size the rod for any other use, with perhaps the exception of surf rods. There is no push for long butt rods in kayaks - just normal length butts the same as you'd use for the same type fishing in any other type of fishing craft. Cutting them down shorter than what the prescribed rod use calls for still doesn't make any sense to me. Once again, the rod isn't pushed up against your body nor can you get your elbow any closer to your body when sitting in a kayak than you can when sitting in anything else.

The rod security issue, and recovery if a rod is lost overboard, is undoubtedly a potential sales vehicle for custom rod builders.

By the way - the accessory track and "plug and play" system in your Wilderness Ride? I designed that for Wilderness Systems back when they were still here in Trinity, NC.

Posted by: Chuck Elliott (---.proxfree.com)
Date: March 11, 2014 01:26PM

So now your taking credit for all the track systems molded or bolted onto fishing kayaks in the world??? LOL!

Date: March 11, 2014 01:41PM

As a matter of fact, I stood next to a WS Tarpon 120 and drew out the system on paper while the owner and founder of Wilderness Systems (Confluence Paddlesports) Andy Zimmerman, took notes. I even used the computer interface term “Plug and Play” to describe the marketing for how the accessory bases would mount in the track. A year later, nearly all the kayaks and canoes in the Confluence family had my system on them. The following year, other kayak manufacturers followed suit with either the same or very similar track systems.

The only change Andy made to my original design was to incorporate an aluminum channel within a molded-in recess, rather than molding the T-slot channel in the plastic itself. It turned out to be less expensive in terms of the rotomolding process involved.

I’m not taking credit for somebody else’s innovation - it was mine from the start and all the manufacturers that have subsequently added similar systems, along with some accessory track makers, based their version/product on my original design. It's not the only thing out there that I've come up with that has been incorporated in many fishing kayaks. Both Confluence and Legacy/Native have more than a few of my ideas and designs on their boats.

Posted by: David Bagley (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2014 05:59PM

I've been kayak fishing since 2008. It's no trend far as I'm concerned. Lots of people are discovering it. Simplicity is the key thing fishing from a kayak. Mine is a NuCanoe Frontier. Has a comfy swivel seat or I can stand all day if I want. I fish for bass using regular rods and started using fly rods last summer. It really is a good time. Lakes, rivers, ponds or the ocean. Depending on the kayak you buy all of those are possible. Can't think of a better way to spend a day.

Date: March 11, 2014 06:36PM

I believe Native/Legacy is doing the rotomolding for NuCanoe these days.

Posted by: David Bagley (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2014 10:04PM

Last I knew they were made in Ohio by Nucanoe. Either way they are a solid kayak/hybrid fishing machine!

Date: March 11, 2014 10:15PM

NuCanoe is in Ohio, but they do not have any rotomolding equipment of their own. They farm that out to another firm, most recently Legacy. At least to my knowledge. The NuCanoe hulls were there in the plant in Jamestown, NC just before Legacy moved to the western portion of the state here.

Posted by: keith nehrke (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2014 09:47PM

I'm no expert on kayak fishing, but I know that I also get the butt caught on my clothes more from a kayak than a bass boat. For me, it's simply a matter of trying to cast in a non optimal direction, like quartering behind. Sometimes the wind plays tricks on you. It's tough to flip from a kayak, too. Bottom line here is that it's technique dictated by circumstances rather than an inherent issue with kayaks. If I was always positioned correctly and could turn toward my target, it wouldn't be an issue. Still, it's a fun way to fish.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster