I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tacky/sticky finish
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.sub-70-194-138.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2014 09:00PM

I have a metallic wrap that remains a bit tacky after 2 days of finish applied to it while my nylon wraps are nice and smooth. Is
There anything special that I'm suppose to do for metallic wraps? I've applied a second coat to all my wraps again and there's the same issue with the one metallic wrap.

Also, for situations such as this, do I add a second coat to eliminate tacky finishes or is there something I should do before re-coating to get a nice finish?

Thanks again!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tacky/sticky finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2014 09:30PM

If the epoxy was all from the same batch it isn't likely to be the fault of the epoxy, or the epoxier (you). I'm not aware of anything that would cause that but I have no idea what the make up of your metallic thread is. In the future you might try sealing it with color preserver and seeing if that takes care of the problem for you. If so, then there is indeed something in or on the thread that is causing the epoxy some sort of problem.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 10:58PM

you neaver said what temp you are at, it can cause problems , but from what you have said I would say the mix was not mesured correctly ,# 1 get it warm "" not HOT "" an see if that helps ,
#2 you might mix up a new coet an put it on top to see if that will help , use heat first just put in the sun for a few hours it should help a lot , SID

William Sidney
AK

you neaver said what temp you are at, it can cause problems , but from what you have said I would say the mix was not mesured correctly ,# 1 get it warm "" not HOT "" an see if that helps ,
#2 you might mix up a new coet an put it on top to see if that will help , use heat first just put in the sun for a few hours it should help a lot , SID

William Sidney
AK

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 12:56AM

Did you by any chance wash things off with alcohol before applying the finish?
I once had a couple of rods that took forever to cure...
In the end I figured out it was my cleaning everything with alcohol before I applied the finish that was causing the problems.

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.sub-70-194-138.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 01:03AM

I know for sure the mix was probably not measured equally of both parts which is probably the beginning of the problem but I did however added a second coat of the same batch and my nylon wraps turned out good (or at least from what I think, me still new to this). So far the metallic wrap is still tacky-ish. I also used a lighter a few times while the rod was spinning.

No cleaning was done prior to the finish coating.

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 09:19AM

Sid,
For future reference, Go to Davis Instruments and get yourself a digital powder scale. It weighs in grains and grams. It also comes with a 50gr weight to calibrate the scale once in a while. Put your measuring cup on the scale and zero it out then mix 50/50. Pour your resin first then hardner. It's ok to add a tad more hardener but not the other way around. I agree put the rod in the sun for a few days and see what happens, then take it from there.

Dave Loren
East Bay Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 09:21AM

Oh yeh, I CP every type of thread. Have had no problems.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 09:45AM

Epoxy for rod finish is design around volume mix not by weight. If you do insist on using weight you will need to know the specific gravity of each component to figure out the weight for each. You will not be using the same weight because each component has a different density.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2014 09:57AM

Additional hardener is the #1 cause of tacky finish. Measure by volume not by weight. They won't be the same.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 10:53AM

You can mix epoxy by weight if you wish.
However, if the epoxy has been designed to be mixed by volume, you will need to figure out the correct ratio to use, when mixing by weight.

You can either figure it out for your self, or you can contact the manufacture for the information.

Good luck

Posted by: William Otto (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 12:02PM

I alwas use syringes to measure epoxy to esure the right volume. and yes. both have different specific gravities so measuring weight is not good. In epoxy the ruke has always been from me, in a number of ventures such as Taxidermy, more hardener will yellow.

Date: March 08, 2014 03:08PM

why play around stay by volum as the MFG. has stated , all of the MFG. say use volum I just stay that way you can get syn, cheep an keep for a long time don't mix them up
drill a hole in the top of bottle a little smaller than than the tip of the syn. leave the syn. in the bottle . as I am a small builder I have left it in for over 1 year an no problems

William Sidney
AK

Date: March 08, 2014 03:08PM

why play around stay by volum as the MFG. has stated , all of the MFG. say use volum I just stay that way you can get syn, cheep an keep for a long time don't mix them up
drill a hole in the top of bottle a little smaller than than the tip of the syn. leave the syn. in the bottle . as I am a small builder I have left it in for over 1 year an no problems

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 07:32PM

'Sid --- you wrote "I also used a lighter a few times while the rod was spinning." Personally I think this is a "bad plan" - especially if you held the lighter under the wraps or close to the wraps. I've found it far better to warm both components in a warm/hot water bath to get them "runny" and to speed the cure of the epoxy some.

Date: March 08, 2014 08:35PM

Ken,
Read and understand your post.

However, I use gentle heat on every guide and butt wrap that I coat.

I use the gentle heat from the heat gun to thin the finish, let it flow and really penetrate the thread and migrate into the tunnel.

It works very well, as long as one uses only "gentle" heat.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: March 08, 2014 09:10PM

If you go past "gentle heat" you will get a wavy epoxy surface that will take sanding and a couple more coats to fix. My take on it is use just a "flash" of heat to break the bubbles, but no more.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2014 09:46AM

Roger
Exactly why I do not like open flame. When needed I use a crafter's embossing gun (low heat / low airflow). It's too hard with an open flame to explain in words what is "warm" and what is "too hot"

Date: March 09, 2014 12:00PM

Ken,
As do I.

i.e. I use an electric heat gun that allows for very good heat regulation.

Be safe

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster