I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mixing rod finish syringes
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2014 03:21AM

Hi, so yes I'm an idiot. Without paying attention, I accidentally mixed up the two syringes in the wrong finishing parts. My question is did I ruin the finishes and the syringes by contaminating them? If I'm lucky and I didn't, what is the best way to clean the syringes? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mixing rod finish syringes
Posted by: chris short (101.172.213.---)
Date: March 07, 2014 06:27AM

I reckon you probably did they r cheap may be best to buy new ones

CKR

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 06:35AM

I've done the same thing myself and flushed the syringes with denatured alcohol and had no subsequent problems.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 09:32AM

Sid,
As long as you can clean the syringes with either DNA, or with Xylene, you will be fine.

However, if the finish has become hard, you will be better off pitching the syringes and obtaining new ones.

By the way, I get syringes at the local industrial surplus store for a few cents each. They work well.

I was at the local Fleet Farm store the other day and in the Vet section noticed appropriate sized syringes for a dollar or so.

So, you can get the syringes at a lot of different locations.

You can also use the syringes from drug stores that are used for infants to deliver medicine for a few cents each.

A syringe is a syringe is a syringe.

---------------------------------
By the way, on the subject of syringes, I use large syringes to measure and deliver epoxy glue to my mixing pot. I cut the ends off of larger syringes and drill or cut the end of the syringes to a size that will work with the material being used.
Then, I just use a pair of PVC tubes of the appropriate size to store the syringes when they are not being used. Again, no need to clean the syringes with epoxy glue or finish. Just push the plunger down and up a couple of times to clear the syringe, and then leave the syringe with the plunger fully retracted. By leaving the plunger retracted, if the plunger sticks a bit up on reuse, you can easily break it free by pushing it down. But if you happen to have a two part syringe and leave it fully down in storage, you may pull the end off the syringe when you go to retract the syringe.

------------------------------------
To minimize the chance for a finish mix up, I take a large black magic marker and mark each finish container with several A's or B's. Then I do the same thing with the syringes, i.e. mark them with a large A or B.
Finally, I wrap the finish container in clear sealing tape. I also wrap each syringe in clear sealing tape.

I store my finish in bottles. The standard syringe is not long enough to reach to the bottom of the bottle. So, I use a piece of appropriate sized blank to slip over the end of the syringe to extend the reach of the syringe. Then, I tape a test tube to each side of the finish container. I have a longer piece of larger blank taped to the side of each finish bottle. When done with the syringe, I simply drop the syringe vertically back into the longer piece of blank that is in the test tube for storage.

I like to keep tight caps on each container, so I do not cut holes in the tops of the containers for a syringe as some folks do.

But with each container clearly marked, and with each syringe stored in the test tube that is attached to the container, it is easier to keep the syringes from being mixed up.

Notice, I said easier. Not fool proof.

--------------------------------------------------
To answer your basic question about mixing up the finish.
It is always a good idea to keep some spare syringes on hand - both for finish as well as for glue.
Any time you run into a syringe problem - replace it and move on.
A lot easier and more reliable than trying to clean or fix a poorly working syringe when it can be replaced for a few cents.

Good luck

Date: March 07, 2014 09:34AM

Notice the variety of syringes that are available at my nearby Fleet Farm store:

[www.fleetfarm.com]

I use syringes similar to this one with the end cut off and the bottom hole sized appropriately to measure epoxy glue:
[www.surpluscenter.com]

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 09:35AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.35.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 10:13AM

I would be a little careful about the syringes you use. It's never happened to me, since I use the syringes sold specifically for rodbuilding (and get a long life out of them. Only throw them away when the measurements are completely worn off), but I've heard horror stories of getting syringes that contain silicone lubricant. That doesn't work too well with the thread finish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 10:13AM by Steve Broadwell.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 11:10AM

This is how I store my finish epoxy. It works very well because the bottles hang upside down and all the air is above the syringe. You never ever get air bubbles in the syringe and can completely empty the bottle so there is no watse. The fittings are cheap and I got them from Mud Hole. I believe they will fit any size bottle except maybe the gallons. Other sponsors may also have them.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

One of the bottles upright to show the fitting.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I got them at Mudhole, here's the link.

[www.mudhole.com]

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 12:39PM

Roger, I see no reason t make such a big deal out of storing and using finish and syringes. Get the ones specifically offered for rod building. Very inexpensive, buy a few when you want to get on the higher end for the shipping charge,
Drill a hole in the cap of the bottle and stick the syringe in the bottle. ITS SEALED unless you pull out the plunger and store it separate. Flip the bottle over when time to measure and suck out some finish. I used a syringe that was not specifically for rod building a while back and the rubber plunger on the bottom of the plunger handle broke down and contaminated my finish. I will only use the all plastic ones. Why make things so difficult when all you need to do is use a little common sense. The all plastic plunger can be stored in the down position as it will not get stuck there unless both parts of the mix were in there.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 03:32PM

Syringes (minus needles) are a dime a dozen before the "rodbuilder" mark-up. Check around a little. You'll see.

Date: March 07, 2014 03:33PM

Syringes (minus needles) are a dime a dozen before the "rodbuilder" mark-up. Check around a little. You'll see.

Fred,
That is the wonderful thing about the free enterprise system.
Every one can pick and choose a system that works well for them.

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 04:22PM

2X what Fred said. Most rod building syringes if you drill a 5/32 hole in the top of A & B in sert plunger. When you are finished with that bottle of finish just screw the cap with plunger on new and done.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 04:43PM

I wonder how many people are going to want to kill ROger when they by the wrong syringe and tehy screw up a few rods trying to figure out where the contamination problem in their shop came from. All syringes are not created equal

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.sub-70-194-138.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2014 05:11PM

Thanks for all the replies guys! The syringes didn't harden yet so I soaked them in 90% isopropyl alcohol. Hopefully that works? Also are my two
Mixtures still usable since I dipped in the wrong syringes that had a little residue?

I ordered new ones but that takes a few days since I do t have a local store.

Thanks again!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 06:15PM

I hope you ordered three or four sets
I use the cone tops never had a problem in many years
mark the bottles of finish with an ( A ) and a ( B ) Also mark the syringes Sand the area you will mark Good bite for the marker lasts longer

After I put the finish in the mixing container I pull the stopper all the way back Tape it with my finger ( don't know if it helps ) but I do it Place on a paper towel And slowly push as much finish out as possible Whip off the tip Pull back the plunger half way Place in a Half paper towel Flolded in half Wrap Add a rubber band
The finish bottles and syringes go in a plastic bag

Been using the same ones for - Many years -- just don't mix them up !!!! Pay Attention

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 07:53PM

Does mudhole sell test tubes ??

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 08:48PM

I have gotten into the Habit of only removing ONE Bottle at a Time from my rack,Replace it and get the other

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 08:54PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 11:35PM

lots of different ways but what I do is what every one else said but I don''t set them up side down , had one of the syringes come out what a mess . I store with the syringes pointing up turn over an draw out
what I need then back vertical with the bottles [ pointing up ] that way I don't need tubes to draw out the flex coat , takes a little longer but I am slow so it don't bug me only build 5 or 6 rods a year
if I did a lot of rod's haveing the bottles upside down with that stopper that don't leak in would be faster , but ???

William Sidney
AK

Date: March 08, 2014 10:55AM

William,
Your point is the exact reason that I don't store epoxy with syringes in them.

Take care

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster