I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying time.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 04:53PM

I was up against a deliver schedule.
So, I tried raising the heat.
I had 5 rods to ship and the guides and butt wrap all needed to be coated.

I coated them at 10 am this morning, and shipped them at 3 pm this afternoon.

The rods were not tacky and dry enough to ship.

When I pack the rods to ship, I put the rods in plastic sleeves that protects them from any sort of dust or other contamination.

To get the rods dry this quickly, I raised the temperature of the space heater in my work shop to the top. The temperature in the shop was about 110 degrees F.

So, if you need a quick cure - raise the temperature and it will cure much more quickly than average.

When the shop is 68 degrees, it takes about 14 hours to have the finish in a comparable state.

Be safe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying time.
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 05:06PM

You will find out IF THEY WERE DRY when your customer gets them

Let us know how it works out

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2014 06:15PM

Each increase of 18F from 70F, will halve the set and cure time. While not cured, I'm sure you hastened the set time by a 3rd what it would have taken otherwise.

Posted by: Rod Churchward (---.lns20.bne4.internode.on.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 07:18PM

Hi Roger,
If I can just share an experience, that happened to me. I had a wrap that needed an extra coat, so, I put the rod, on a couple of rollers in front of a window for sum light to work on. I was nearly finished when the phone rang, as it always does, one of my daughters needed me to go up town for her, as they always do. To cut a long story short, while I was away, the sun moved to be shining through the window directly on to the recoated wrap, sum thing that I never gave a thought to. The wrap was dry to touch when I got back home. I'm not saying you could dry five rods in this fashion, but I have since used it a couple of times, all with the same result. It also was in the summer months.
Kind regards, Rod.
Mboro. Qld.
Australia.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 08:16PM

Roger, I know that you know what you are doing and have a lot of experience, but I don't think that I would have been tempted to do the same thing. 5 hours curing time before shipping just would make me cringe. Hope it works well for you.

Date: March 07, 2014 09:40AM

Randolph,
I normally would never do this but the fellow was going on a fishing trip this weekend.
I just checked with the Fed Ex tracking and the tube of rods is out for delivery this morning in time for the fellows trips.

As others have said, I do hope that the rods have dried enough to avoid having the guides shift.

Thanks much

Date: March 07, 2014 09:55AM

I would think IF you could not make a mark in the finish with you nail It is good to go

I was just thinking with this cold weather when it gets into cold will it sofen up any ???
let us know i

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 07, 2014 07:28PM

Bill,
I doubt it.

Be safe

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 04:15AM

I don't have a designated room for building where I can change the room temperature so I was wondering if I could use lights/lamps as a heat source to speed up the drying time? I have a few office type lamps that have the adjustable stands that I could use if that works. Thanks!

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 07:59AM

I have used my small 3/4 bathroom with a small heater once the epoxy isn't in the runny state without any problems. You just need to make sure the that when you stand the rod up that the epoxy won't run.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 08, 2014 08:57AM

I always use adjustable arm desk lamps with incandesent light bulbs to GENTLY warm the finish just after applying to the wraps. This helps to get any bubbles out of the finish, smooths out and levels the finish, flows the finish into the "tunnels" beside the guide foot, and slightly speeds up the setting process. I just position the 60w bulbs about 4-6" above the finish and rotate the rod slowly underneath the light bulbs for a short while. I have 2 lamps and move them from wrap to wrap every few minutes.

Rog

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 08, 2014 09:40AM

Roger Templon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always use adjustable arm desk lamps with
> incandesent light bulbs to GENTLY warm the finish
> just after applying to the wraps. This helps to
> get any bubbles out of the finish, smooths out and
> levels the finish, flows the finish into the
> "tunnels" beside the guide foot, and slightly
> speeds up the setting process. I just position the
> 60w bulbs about 4-6" above the finish and rotate
> the rod slowly underneath the light bulbs for a
> short while. I have 2 lamps and move them from
> wrap to wrap every few minutes.
>
> Rog

I've done this also, but make sure to keep checking the wraps because the extra heat can cause bubbles to surface and you will need to take care of them.

Date: March 08, 2014 10:57AM

Good news,
I called the client who had received the rod about 24 hours after I had started to coat the rods a few states away.

He answered the phone from the lake where he and friends had set up for a weekend of ice fishing. All of the rods came though in perfect shape and were being used as I spoke to him.

So, at the end of the day, the increased heat did a nice job to accelerate the curing of the epoxy with excellent final results.

Be safe

Date: March 09, 2014 01:24PM

You da man Roger

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster