I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

11-ft spinning rod
Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 08:56AM

I have been asked to build a 11-ft spinning rod for 1-4 lb. line. I have never encountered a spinning rod blank like this. I make the assumption I will need to use a fly rood blank. I have found 11-ft, 4 piece, 7 and 8 wt. fly rood blanks , but would prefer to use a 2-piece blank if possible.

I am continuing my search for 2-piece 11 ft fly rod blanks

Any suggestions on the best way to get the job done will be appreciated.

If I must use a fly rod blank, what weight would best fit the 1-4 lb. line category.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 11-ft spinning rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 09:00AM

I would look at the lure weight that he wants to throw this way if a fly blank you can put the line weight over 16 and calculate the lure weight
Not perfect but gets you in the ball park

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 09:01AM

What fishing conditions will this rod be used for? It sounds like a noodle rod, used for drifting egg sacks in rivers. If so you could search for "noodle rod blanks".

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: March 03, 2014 10:10AM

Rex Mud Hole has panfish rod blanks, 2 pc, in 9 foot and 12 foot and probably another length. Have built three of them so far and customers love them for panfish rods.

Buzz

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: March 03, 2014 10:10AM

Rex Mud Hole has panfish rod blanks, 2 pc, in 9 foot and 12 foot and probably another length. Have built three of them so far and customers love them for panfish rods.

Buzz

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 10:16AM

Here are some 8-16 foot rods all built.
Very inexpensive.

If you want, you could buy the rod, strip them and rebuild them.

Or you could just let your friend buy one, fish with it and see if it is the type rod that he wants.

There are a variety of long "Crappie" rods in this and other catalogs that are imported, very inexpensive and may fit the bill for the clients needs.

[www.basspro.com]

Be safe

Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 11:51AM

1-4lb line wt is the key, pretty sure a 8wt fly blank will not be slow enough to go that light.
I have a hard time with 3 lb tippet on my 4wt fly rod.
My personal experience (fishing these rods not building them) for steelhead if you are going to get away with that light of line the rod needs to be long and slow, noodle.
Not sure if anyone makes one rated that low, most are 2-6 lb.

Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 11:55AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here are some 8-16 foot rods all built.
> Very inexpensive.
>
> If you want, you could buy the rod, strip them and
> rebuild them.
>
> Or you could just let your friend buy one, fish
> with it and see if it is the type rod that he
> wants.
>
> There are a variety of long "Crappie" rods in this
> and other catalogs that are imported, very
> inexpensive and may fit the bill for the clients
> needs.
>
> [www.basspro.com]
> -Mighty-Lite-Crappie-Rods/product/1305240701346/?c
> mCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT
>
> Be safe

Cool thanks for the link Rodger, I didnt know these were available.
They dont specify line/lure ratings but they must be light?

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 03, 2014 01:29PM

Check out a North Fork Composits IGFA 2-piece, 4lb test noodle rod, model # STN11622IM. At 11'6", it's a little longer than what your customer wanted, but it is in the right pound test class you customer wants. You can always consider trimming this to 11'.

Both Angler's Workshop and Bingham Enterprises should be able to get you this blank. (Sorry if I missed anyone else) You can find a link to both businesses to the left of this post.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 11:54PM

Angler's Workshop also has a 13'6" UL blank rated 2-6lb. You could probably take some off the butt section if that is too long for you. It's in the noodle rod category discussed above. SH136UL3 is the model number in their salmon/steelhead section.

Terry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 12:24PM

By the way.

If you are considering the use of a two or three piece rod, it is generally in your best interest NOT to trim the rod.

If you trim the rod, especially if you only trim from one end of the blank, you can end up with some very uneven blank section lengths, which from an appearance view point is not necessarily in your best interest.

Be safe

Date: March 04, 2014 01:17PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By the way.
>
> If you are considering the use of a two or three
> piece rod, it is generally in your best interest
> NOT to trim the rod.
>
> If you trim the rod, especially if you only trim
> from one end of the blank, you can end up with
> some very uneven blank section lengths, which from
> an appearance view point is not necessarily in
> your best interest.
>
> Be safe

This is why I recommend the 11'6" that I mentioned above; one could easily remove three inches each from the butt and tip and not alter the action notably, thereby ending up with an 11' rod.

Date: March 04, 2014 05:42PM

3" from the tip

You better check that out before you cut That is a lot and will change the action and lure it will thow

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 07:15PM

I just pawed through some old rods and found a 10'6" Cortland CTR-100 ultra light noodle rod rated for 1/16 - 1/4 ounce casting weight and #2 -#6 line. It sounds much like what your client is looking for. I think Lamiglass made these rods for Cortland. They still may be making this or a similar blank.

Date: March 05, 2014 07:51AM

Bill on most rods yes, three inches cut from the tip would be significant, but not on a noodle rod. Because the action is so slow and the rod is so long, the difference would be unnoticeable. I doubt many people could notice 4-5 inches cut from the tip let alone 3.

Date: March 05, 2014 10:15AM

John
Now that I think about it
You right In fact it might help the action and power ??

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster