I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal-epoxy issues
Posted by: Wayne Kohan (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: March 02, 2014 11:14AM

I am building a spinning rod for an @#$%& item for my parents and want to apply the logo of their non-profit they work with. So I wrapped the area with silver metallic thread and applied CP and then a coat of Threadmaster lite epoxy. It sat for a week. I printed the logo on inkjet decal paper, then sprayed the decal with two coats of clear Krylon and let it sit about 2 hours. I applied the decal using Microset and as I was doing the final adjustments I noted some cloudiness under the decal. Figuring it was air, I tried to work it out but couldn't so I removed the decal with the intention of placing another one. However the milky color persisted and figuring it was adhesive from the decal I rubbed on it, and then realized it was the epoxy coming off. So, what happened? I was planning on removing the wrap and starting over, but was thinking I may try another coat of epoxy to see if that will fix the issue, but am concerned about doing the same thing over again and having the same thing happen.

I am wondering if it is one of the chemicals I used? I used alcohol to clean the area, Microset for the decal, and Krylon was sprayed on the decal? Maybe the Krylon wasn't dry enough? I have done this a few times in the past and had no issues.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Wayne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal-epoxy issues
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2014 12:30PM

Wayne,

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the microset is affecting the Krylon spray and it is clouding up. I have done everything you have up to the point of the microset without any problems.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2014 12:34PM

I suspect the micro set. Not sure what is composed of, but water alone would not normally caused the epoxy to soften so much it comes off. Under certain conditions, moisture can cause epoxy to cloud up or become milky. This can usually be cured by warming the cloudy area with a hair dryer.

my assumption is that the problem is in the epoxy, not the decal, so do not believe that the Krylon on top of the decal is an issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2014 04:02PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: March 02, 2014 04:20PM

By the way, it is an @#$%& item that I am building not a @#$%& item, how did that happen?

Anyway, not sure what is in Microset but smells like vinegar. Maybe it was epoxy, but have not had issues with Threadmaster before.

Wayne

Date: March 02, 2014 04:22PM

It is an @#$%& item

Wayne

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2014 05:01PM

How long did you let the CP dry

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 02, 2014 05:17PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How long did you let the CP dry

Not remembering for sure since it was last week, but at least 2 hours.

Wayne

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2014 06:18PM

I always let mine dry overnight ??? That may be the cloudiness

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 02, 2014 06:22PM

Actually the cloudiness was the epoxy lifting off the wraps. Not sure why the epoxy did that. The epoxy sat for a week before I applied the decal and cured well per the left overs in the mixing cup.

Wayne

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2014 06:42PM

Sounds quite strongly that the CP was not dry! There was still moisture under the epoxy. Best to let the CP dry thoroughly before applying epoxy.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.81.---)
Date: March 02, 2014 07:06PM

From what I've been able to piece together you are applying water slide decals with a product which is supposed to help that, and it is called Microset? I've done the whole scenario with peel and stick decals with no problem, but no Microsoft. I don't have a lot of experience with water slide, but I expect that adding any element into the process that is not normally part of the process could introduce problems. I agree with those who question the 2 hours of CP dry time. So I would suspect either the dry time of the CP or the use of Microset. I will apply CP within a few hours of appying the first coat, but will always wait overnight after the last coat of CP.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (67.50.130.---)
Date: March 02, 2014 08:35PM

Hi Wayne,

I've done a ton of water slides and the only time I encountered your issue is when I tried using a setting solution. Epoxy isn't needed until you've applied the decal.

All that's needed is your silver thread underwrap followed by one very wet coat of color preserver. After it's applied be sure to wick up any excess CP. When that's dry add one more coat of CP. Be sure that's very dry, even wait overnight be certain.

If you've already printed your decal and given it a good coat of fixative, you can apply it now. No need for a layer of epoxy. After the label is dry go ahead and apply epoxy a few coats of epoxy.

Good luck.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster