I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bent/Broke my rod blank 11/16" from the top.
Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2014 08:38PM

Well I cried for two days and rehydrated for three before posting. My wife has taken the binky away and gave it back to my son.

I have read the article by Mr. O'Quinn in the library and done a search for broken rod repair. I am probably too upset/disappointed with myself to see the answer right in front of me as what to do.

I finally now realize/learned that I wrapped the thread on too tight. I did an unsatisfactory job and removed the thread with slight frustration. I then heated the tip with an alcohol burner to remove the top guide and redo it better. Next I reheated the tip again to soften any glue on the tip and remove with a paper towel and 91% IA. I knew it must be done with care and tried to do that after counting to 20 first. I know now that a combination of my mistakes abovementioned and squeezing to hard with my thumb to remove the glue lead up to my bending/deforming the tip. It went back into a straight position but you can feel the indent from where I bent It and it is now pregnant. It is 11/16" from the tip and 3/16" under the tip top guide tube.

Finally my question!
What is the SMART thing to do? The blank is an SCV70MLF with microwave guides. I am not an 'experienced' rod builder but am willing to try and fail rather than do nothing and succeed.

1) Do I cut off the tip at the bend/brake and proceed?
2) Cut the tip tube back to make room so I can put a fiberglass sleeve over the bend?
3) Find an intelligent human being to fix it for me before I do more harm. (Any suggestions within a 100 mile radius of Charlotte, NC would be welcomed.)
4) Do something else. (please do not suggest taking up crocheting instead)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bent/Broke my rod blank 11/16" from the top.
Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2014 10:31PM

As close as it is to the end, I'd just trim the damaged area and replace the tip. Use this as a learning experience.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 01, 2014 07:37AM

I'm with Scott..... Cut it off and install a new tip.

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2014 08:12AM

trim the tip....no big deal...

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2014 09:48AM

A little trick that really help to minimize the heat damage. This tip has been posted on this forum several times in the past but still works very very well.

1. Always have some craft sticks or Popsicle sticks on hand for various chores around the shop.

2. Keep a bag of rubber bands around the shop as well. Also a box of paper clips.

3. To remove the tip with the minimum heat, use a rubber band and a couple of paper clips. An alcohol burner makes a great source of heat that minimizes the heat spread to other parts of the blank.
Thread a paper clip into each end of the rubber band.
Slip the paper clip through the tip. Put the tip under rubber band pressure by stretching the rubber band, holding the paper clip to stretch it.
Then, use gentle heat on the tip, as you spin the tip - while keeping pressure on the rubber band. Just as soon as the heat softens the adhesive enough, the tip will fly off the blank.
Then, grab a craft stick, and with the tip laid on the bench, scrape the excess hot glue toward the tip and off of the tip. By keeping the tip on the bench, the tip does not get bent, and the craft stick does a great job of scraping the adhesive off the tip with no scratching of the blank.

Also, by using the craft stick t remove the hot adhesive, you don't burn your fingers.

When putting the tip back on, use the craft stick to scrape the tip against, to remove the hot excessive adhesive. The excess adhesive sticks nicely to the stick without burning your finger.

Good luck

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2014 11:23AM

Good idea with rubberband and paper clip. I've done the same thing. I, too, cut the tip off and finished the road with no noticeable difference. It fishes just fine.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2014 03:58PM

Thank you very much everyone. At least now with all the responses I can cut off the tip with confidence of making the best of the situation.
Yes I have chalked it up to a learning experience, but only because I was able to put together what I did wrong because of this forum. The frosting on the cake was Mr. Wilson suggesting to "grab a craft stick, and with the tip laid on the bench". That is the one note not in my 'bible' of notes and in my opinion would have saved the day. Rest assured I will have one in my pocket protector from now on.

Thank you all again.
Mike Quinn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster