I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Adjustable Rod Butt
Posted by: Craig Strickland (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2014 03:28PM

Just got back from the 2014 ICRBE and it was a great experience for a first timer.

One of the vendors was showing an adjustabe teleoscoping butt. It looked like a great idea for kayak fishermen. Short butt for handling and casting, and longer, if needed, to fight a fish. What are the thoughts of this group on this application?

Craig Strickland
Morehead City, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adjustable Rod Butt
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2014 05:22PM

Manley Rods markets that item and I got a good look at it again this year. It's much improved. The knock on this type item has always been the weight. Most have been heavy and clunky. This version seems to have addressed those concerns. It's light, secure and seems strong enough for most applications short of really heavy saltwater stuff.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2014 08:11PM

I forgot to ask Manley Rods if the adjust-a-butt would work for an Allstar 1266 surf blank.

If it would it sure sounds like it would be perfect to have the butt length of the rod going from the palm of my hand to my elbow for using plugs and stingsilvers with a spinning rod ,then have the extended butt for fighting a fish if needed or using light bait rig up to 4 ounces.

Date: February 24, 2014 08:46PM

It may not be heavy duty enough for that sort of application, but I'm sure the same thing could be made in a more robust version. Do a google for Manley Rods and shoot them an email and find out.

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-174-237-44.myvzw.com)
Date: February 25, 2014 04:35PM

Terry from Manley rods said that it can handle the pressure easily for the surf plugging rod.

I just now responded back and asked him what would be the limit to lure weight and surf rod length just for curiosity sake.

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-174-237-44.myvzw.com)
Date: February 25, 2014 05:05PM

He responded back and said the current system handles 160 lbs of pressure and there is a rod builder using them in rods up to 14 foot in Europe.

He also said they are developing an even heavier duty version to come out in the fall of this year with up to 20 inches of extension.

For myself and other folks like me that travel to beach on family trips can surely see the huge plus of having a couple surf rods with the versatily to do double duty work and adjust length depending on the weight being cast.I will let you all know how it works out for my plug/metal rod.

Date: February 25, 2014 05:15PM

Good to know. Keep us informed as to how it all works out once you put it into service. I know they greatly improved the design this year.

Posted by: Terry Manley (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2014 02:30PM

Thanks Tom and good answers. Yes the MRF System is very much improved. With five (5) different sizes for spinning, bait cast and light surf rods you can build the MRF System in rod blanks with a butt diameter from 3/8" and up to 1 3/16". The rear grip can be any length you want and depending on the size extension rod (7", 9" or 11") you can gain additional adjustable leverage for many uses. We will have a new MRF System coming out mid summer that has a larger diameter extension rod for heavy surf and sea rods.

We also have the new MRF System designed for fly rods that is in a size to itself. Designed to look like part of the reel seat. It extends an additional 6" including the fighting butt. Designed for 6 weight and up, and tested to handle the pressure.

Posted by: Craig Strickland (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2014 09:26PM

Terry, Please unhide your email, or email me. I have some questions about the MRF System.

Thanks

Posted by: mark crouse (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 28, 2014 09:09AM

You can also ask me about the MRF System, since I did the re-design, to cut out the weight, and trimmed it up , I sure should be qualified to answer all questions.
Best Regards to all Mark Crouse - The Munich Rod Man.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster