I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Small blank diameter - Grip Question
Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: February 19, 2014 03:17PM

Hey Fellas,

Just wondering how some of you address the situation of having a super thin diameter rod and only being able to find a grip that is maybe twice the I.D as the blank O.D?

Tape arbors? Regular arbors?

I'm building an UL trout rod and have to use some EVA that has a much wider I.D than the blank O.D. First reaction is tape arbors but wondering if there is anything out there lighter or more creative that you may employ? If you use tape arbors is weight something you consider?

Thanks for your time!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Small blank diameter - Grip Question
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 19, 2014 03:23PM

tape arbors will add weight to that UL rod
I would think that if you can not find any eva with a small ID then the graphite arbors can be glued into the eva and then reamed to fit

What about cork grips ?? They come with a 1/4" hole

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 03:25PM by bill boettcher.

Date: February 19, 2014 03:44PM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I have to use a certain color EVA from a previous grip I did that the guy liked.

Have you put EVA on graphite arbors with success? Glues good? Would contact cement be the better application glue for that?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2014 03:51PM

I would use heavy thread (E) or cord to build up the blank. Wind in close spirals and then "screw" the grip on. With epoxy applied, of course.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 19, 2014 03:51PM

drill it out and epoxy in a poly reelseat arbor or two.

Date: February 19, 2014 04:23PM

Thanks guys.

Interesting with the thread/cord Tom. You've done that with success before?

I'm guessing I can use standard rodbond for the arbor/eva connection if I go that route?

You guys graphite arbor eva before?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 19, 2014 04:29PM

I use rod bond And i would say with the arbors Less weight ( depending on how large the hole in the eva is ?? ) Also less glue The arbors are very easy to ream out to fit the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 19, 2014 04:58PM

Thank you Bill. Much appreciated.

Have a good day guys!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2014 06:01PM

You will never get the grip on using contact cement!

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2014 09:04PM

I have used the cord they use for tieing meat for cooking it absorbs the epoxie well
I think it is cotton has about a 3/32" thick fills the gap fast without a lot of marerial, its also light.
makes for a good adhetion too the blank.
put it on like a cross wrap openings to the blank

Curt

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2014 09:21PM

Adam,
Depending on the size ID of the EVA grip, you could use a poly arbor.

Chuck the arbor onto a drill bit to keep it from spinning and hold it against a spinning belt sander to reduce the OD of the arbor to fit the inside of the eva grip.

Pretty quick, very simple and very light.

Just glue on the arbor and grip with epoxy and you are good to go.

By the way, what is the ID of the EVA grip, and what is the OD of the blank that you are installing the grip on?

Be safe

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2014 12:42AM

wouldn't the off-white colored polyurethane grip arbors flex coat offers work perfectly for this application? they're meant for reel seats but end to end two could suffice. i'm just speculating though.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2014 02:29AM

Adam,

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This rod was done with Mud Hole's light gray/black variegated EVA, 3/8" ID. The blank is a Batson P840. I picked up some graphite arbors that were 12mm in OD and epoxied them in the grip sections. The EVA will fit over the top with a good friction fit, and a little reaming may help if the fit is too snug. The technique works great, and I highly recommend it when you need to arbor a grip for a small OD blank. It's simple and the materials needed are readily available from your supplier. If you bore out the grip for a full sized 16mm arbor, you need to be sure your winding checks will cover the arbor. If your blank ID is less than 1/4", then you might have to get a little more creative.

Joe

Edit: Updated arbor OD after looking up specs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2014 01:46PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: February 20, 2014 12:56PM

The rigid foam reel seat arbors being talked about are probably the lightest solution. I would turn one to go into the front of the seat, and one to go into the rear of it, maybe an inch. Turn the front one's front inch or so just under the outer diameter as the reel seat hood (uplocking) and you have an easy, light, integral ramp (when finished with epoxy). The rear should be turned to just under the minor diameter of the seat threads for the ramp part of the piece.

The top rod in the article is much bigger, but the principle is the same. Paint the ramps whatever color you want BEFORE gluing into position, and making the front one just under the O.D. of the hood gives you an easy shoulder to apply your epoxy against.

[clients.criticalimpact.com]

Date: February 21, 2014 11:47AM

Butt. .3" so its probably a little less than that 6.5" up, where the 3.5" EVA portion of the grip went, it was bookend with cork - EVA Grip .5"

I ended up going the arbor route. Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Joe and Michael, those are really nice builds. Michael, gotta be nice to have your work highlighted like that.

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: February 21, 2014 02:16PM

Thanks, Adam, appreciate your comment. I'm surprised I don't see more builds utilizing arbors for ramps. Makes for really light, sensitive rods, very clean appearance, very comfortable grips. If you do it right you don't even need winding checks, so the ramp just flows into the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster