I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with travel blank
Posted by: Frank MacDonald (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 18, 2014 05:48PM

Hi All

I have someone looking for a 6' to 6'6" travel spinning rod 3 or 4 pc. ultra LT or LT 4 to 8 lb line. I have been looking and can only find fly rod blanks that look like they would work.

If I have to go to a fly blank would a 3 or 4wt work??

If you suggestions on a blank that will work please let me know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with travel blank
Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 06:07PM

The Batson Forecast Sb720-4 or SB781-3 might be just what you are looking for.
here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 07:02PM

If you know the weight of the lure you will be throwing then you can figure out the fly rod that will work
A 3 weight wil be about 3/16 oz lure The line is put over the line weight 3 - 4 as 3/16 oz or 4 as 4/16 oz

All rod blanks need a weight to be able to load them weather it is line weight or lure weight

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.175.136.---)
Date: February 18, 2014 08:18PM

Hi Frank,
Dbluefishing, sponsor on the left also have travel blanks in 3 and 4 pieces. They make two types of nano technology blanks. Unfortunately the multi piece blanks don't start until 7'6" but they do make UL models and may suit your customer. Contact Lily on info@dbluefishing.com for more info.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Frank MacDonald (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 18, 2014 10:14PM

Ron,Bill and Col thanks for the info

Posted by: Woody Davis (---.mc.at.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 11:09PM

Frank, I built on a Batson Forecast 720-4 for fishing smallies on the Bonundary Wataers. I love it and it handled sever and eight pounds with not problom.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2014 06:15AM

Definitely the SB720-4 ... great little pack rod.

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: February 20, 2014 05:46PM

Longer is better in an UL unless you have tight stream conditions, in my opinion. Much more reliable hook sets and longer casts. One thing to consider with a travel rod is guide height. Make sure your customer knows the diameter of the tube he plans to use to transport the rod, and make sure your guides will fit. With the new guide systems, many times the guides are too tall to go into traditional rod tubes. In my opinion, the difference in performance of taller guides is not enough to offset the problem with having to use large diameter rod tubes.

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: February 20, 2014 05:48PM

I should have noted that 7 1/2 foot fly blanks make great UL spinning rods. Use the method mentioned by Bill B to choose the blank line wt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster