I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Action Standards???
Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (---.google.com)
Date: February 18, 2014 03:31PM

The more and more I get to learn different blanks, the more I realize how much variance the action plays in to describing a rod. I have found some big descrepencies between what one manufacturer calls a fast/moderate/slow action and the next. One companies moderate is another companies slow. Even within the same lineup some rods can be worlds apart from mod. fast to moderate. I understand that there are many variables that come into play with length, rod type, etc but why is there no industry standard? If the rod action starts in the first 10%, 20% etc of length then why cant that be attributed to a defined point of reference for the action. As a guy who typically has to take the risk of ordering an unfelt blank, many companies sure dont make it easy to be sure of what your getting. Same goes for power ratings. Does it have to be the way it is, and if so can someone please explain why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Action Standards???
Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2014 04:02PM

Just read up on the Common Cents Sytem on the left. Very unfortunate that it will probably never become the standard.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2014 04:13PM

It's hard to accurately define things with terms. Numbers are the far more effective way to do it.

I always thought it was funny that no rod or blank manufacturer uses terms to describe rod length. Can you imagine a catalog with length specs listed as "very short, short, about average, pretty long, long, very long, etc?"

The current action scale of "slow, medium and fast" isn't quite as bad, but even with some crossover (medium-fast) you only have 4 or maybe 5 units of resolution. The CCS AA scale gives you 90.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 04:17PM

You're right, there is no standard between manufacturers when describing a rod's action. Power too. Don't know the reason so I can't help you there. Maybe someone will chime in with that answer.

If you build more than a few rods I'd suggest learning the Common Cents System. It's the only system I'm aware of that let's you put an objective measurement on action and power. There's a link near the top of the sponsors column on the left of this web page. Measure each rod blank you purchase and over time you'll have a database of information regarding action and power for each rod you build. Describing action with terms such as fast/moderate/slow is fine but putting an objective number on each blank is best. Same with power.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 04:39PM

That is why companies make it SO HARD to pick a blank for you or your customer
The only way is to ask here or off board and see if builders have built a certain blank and how it was
As
Did it handle the lure weight or fly line
Was it fast as described ??
Did it handle more lure weight then listed

That is why this Site is very importaint then a lot think Unless you can afford to buy blanks and find they ARE NOT AS DESCRIBED and then send them back You should ask here First

The shame of it -- nothing is written in stone
When a company lists a fly rod as a 5 wt Is the line 30 ft off the tip as the CCS is -- Not Really just as many other things

or you can do make a list read the HIPE listed Then come her and find out if they work !!!

just like -- you can keep your insurance company - period

Forgot to say
Thank you Tom

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 05:10PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (172.56.26.---)
Date: February 18, 2014 04:59PM

Thanks for the replies. I was unaware of the ccs so I will investigate and learn the system for future reference. The forums often become my go to source for figuring out a blank, but sometimes you get so many varying opinions it leads to more confusion. The broken system probably leads to some of these discrepancies in action opinions. Without a definite point of reference of a blank I know it becomes even harder, since most of my recent builds are venturing into unknown surf blank territory. My thanks to Tom for provided this platform in which to make an educated descision possible.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: February 19, 2014 02:18AM

Dennis, The best thing you can do is use the CCS system on all rods you build. When you take the rod out for test casting take notes on how the rod casts, the feel of the rod, how easy it is to serialize a given length of the line. By doing this with each rod you build, you can build a data base that you can use when you build rods for family, friends, and customers. I began doing this about five years ago, when I finally began to appreciate the CCS system. For me I don't worry what someone else has measured using the CCS system, because I have no control or knowledge of how they made their measurements. When I use a specific blank several times, I can compare my measurements and also get some idea how repeatable my own measurements are. Of course comparing them with values from other rod builders will also help in trying to understand how much variance their is in these measurements. I hope this helps.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 20, 2014 10:23AM

It's not just the weight of the first 30' of fly line that determines how the line will cast, it's where the weight of that first 30' is concentrated. Be assured that a line where 80% of the weight of the head is in the first 15 feet will cast far differently than a line where 20% of the head's weight is in the first 15 feet. Furthermore, some lines have heads 40 feet, not 30 feet long. The optimum fly-casting outfit depends upon the combination of the rod and the fly line, where each element is equally important.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster