I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First time wrapping guides
Posted by: Cory Byrnes (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 10:33AM

Hi,
I am wrapping guides for the first time on a fly rod. I am having difficulty with getting the thread to wrap. The blank I have has a gloss finish on it from the manufacture and the thread slips. I have loosen the tension on the thread I have increased the tension slowly to the opposite extreme. I have considered lightly scoring the gloss finish just like when I installed the grip and seat. Since it will be covered by thread and finish I would think it wouldn't have any adverse affects on the rod. I would appreciate any tips or tricks for getting the wraps to stop sliding while I am trying to start the wrap.
Thanks,
Cory

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First time wrapping guides
Posted by: john backos (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2014 10:48AM

I use blue painters tapeto tape the tag end of the thread to the blank. I also use a small wrap of tape for the beginning of the wrap to lie straight against (If the wrap is simple). Once I have six wraps around the tag end of the thread, I line up the tag end with the guide foot (spinning, fly or 180 spiral guide) or on the blind side of the rod (all guides on the top of the rod). I then cut the tag end with a fly tying scissors and feather the thread out so I don't see a bulge under the wrap. Tension takes practice. You want it to be snug, but if it's too tight, you will not be able to adjust the guides and will have trouble pulling through at the completion of your wrap.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 11:25AM

Try holding the thread to the blank preventing the first crossover of the tag end from spinning by maintaining pressure on the first wraps with the end of your thumb as you turn the blank with your other hand. After four or five revolutions the tag end is secured and the thread won't spin anymore..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 11:51AM

two things
With loose tension get 2 - 3 wraps on Then tighten the tension to where you want it
Or
Wet your finger This usually helps to keep it from turning Or both
But the tight tension will keep it turning

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 12:19PM

Hi Cory,

I use fingertip pressure to start and as I roll the blank forward it travels up my finger until enough wraps have been applied to hold securely. You may find it easier to just apply tape as mentioned until you get the hang of it.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 12:40PM

the others have offered some tips. but the first thing mentioned should have been this: Gloss finish/slipping is normal. :)

this is your first time, with practice you'll get the hang of it. there's no need to score the finish.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 12:40PM

the others have offered some tips. but the first thing mentioned should have been this: Gloss finish/slipping is normal. :)

this is your first time, with practice you'll get the hang of it. there's no need to score the finish. take 5-10 turns at the start with tension, and then increase the tension.

eric
fresno, ca.

(I guess that needed reinforcement! lol)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 12:43PM by eric zamora.

Date: February 18, 2014 12:43PM

Also hold the Tag End as you roll till you got maybe 4-5 turns

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2014 01:39PM

When you make your "locking X" of the thread, take the tag end and spiral wind it around the blank 3 or 4 times. Pin it with a finger as you start and then make 2 or 3 turns. That's all you'll need to do.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 02:34PM

all the pointers work, your problem is you don't have suffent wraps before you let it go , you have to hold it till you have at least 5 , 7 is better fot a NEWBEE , you can cut it back after you do it a few times ,
don't for get don't make it to tight as you will have to move the guides some [ at least I do ] so make them taunt an not tight so you can move the guide some , the gloss on the rod should not be a problem with any wrap I think

William Sidney
AK

all the pointers work, your problem is you don't have suffent wraps before you let it go , you have to hold it till you have at least 5 , 7 is better fot a NEWBEE , you can cut it back after you do it a few times ,
don't for get don't make it to tight as you will have to move the guides some [ at least I do ] so make them taunt an not tight so you can move the guide some , the gloss on the rod should not be a problem with any wrap I think

William Sidney
AK

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 18, 2014 03:47PM

What size guides are you using? Even with smaller guides I find that if I prep (Sand smooth to a flat point) the initial lay over wrap on the guide foot goes much easier. I also use a small tight wrap of VERY GOOD STICKY masking tape. Keep trying. You'll find a process that works for you.

Posted by: Cory Byrnes (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 04:52PM

Thanks guys I was able to wrap the tag end around the blank and get it started. All the tips were really helpful.
Thanks,
Cory

Date: February 18, 2014 05:51PM

As you wrap guides you will get the hang of it The first one is always the hardest to do But it gets easyer

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: February 19, 2014 01:02AM

Hello,

I had similar problems when I first started wrapping. It may help to take out the slack in the thread before starting the wrap. Here is a way that works for me:

After making my "X" crossover where I want the wrap to start, I pull the tag end perpendicular (90 degrees) to the blank while rotating blank by hand in the opposite direction that I wrap.

The idea here is to let the looped thread slip around the blank a little while tightening itself in the process. Hope this helps.

-chad

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 01:04AM by Chad Barlongo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster