I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which medium fast 7 foot blank for salmon?
Posted by: Claus Bech-Petersen (---.rev.stofanet.dk)
Date: February 17, 2014 10:56AM

Hi all,

I am trying to locate a blank for friend who loves to spin fish for Atlantic salmon in our local river.

He already owns a rod build on a 7 foot Pacific Bay T2-blank model T2SP843-2 which is medium-light with a fast action. He is looking for something with a little more power and a deeper action. Stiffer is easy, but I cannot seem to find a blank with a deeper flex. Blank should be two pieces for easy handling and shipping.

If anyone remembers the old no. 2 Hardy 7 foot carbon rods I guess that something like them would be nice.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, esp. on deeper flexing blanks. I could ask CTS to make them blank, but I am su he would prefer something a little cheaper.

Thank you
Claus

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which medium fast 7 foot blank for salmon?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2014 04:45PM

If we had the CCA AA number for that blank it might be possible to dial in something with a lower number. But the term "medium fast" is pretty wide. I think you might need to contact some of the makers and get their opinion. You could also check with Pacific Bay and ask if they have anything similar but in a more medium action. They'd be able to tell you in an instant.

Date: February 18, 2014 03:26AM

Tom,

True with the measurements, but I do not have access to the rod right now. And the rod makers don't give measurements, so that seems to be a lost cause, even if I had the data for the rod.

Claus

Posted by: Ron Jack (---.ngn.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 08:57AM

Claus, Check out the Batson SWT70H3, SWT70MH3, and SWT70M3. I have used both the H and MH in Alaska fishing for salmon. Great blanks, 3 piece easy for travel, and plenty of backbone.

Ron Jack
Bowdoin, Maine

Date: February 18, 2014 02:18PM

Hi Ron,
Thank you. They could very easily be what I am looking for.
Claus

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 19, 2014 09:44AM

SW blanks are a bit more powerful for the same line rating than FW blanks. If jumping from 4-10 all the way to 10-17 lb class I would look at the Batson IP843F, 8-15 lb line class. Half the blank weight and well within the power spectrum used for Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead.

Date: February 20, 2014 08:40AM

Spencer,
Good suggestion. I think that my friend will choose from one of your suggestions. Good thing is that the Batson range is available from several sources in Europe as well.
Claus

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster