I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What are you favorite mid level blanks to use?
Posted by: Jose Garza (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 16, 2014 08:07PM

Hey guys,

Its the dead of winter and it has been downright awful which has left me sitting at home doing much of nothing. The only thing I can do is attempt to get ready for the upcoming guide season on Lake St. Clair and the Detroit River, which last season left me needing to replace a few rods that are broken.

Last year, I built my first rod and I got pretty hooked on the idea of being able to take the blanks of the rods I love and make them better and more personal. So as i'm shopping around to replace some of these broken rods, I keep thinking to myself, "well I don't like this about that rod or that about this rod." and the rod building bug has bit me again.

I built my first rod on an Avid blank and was considering just using more of their blanks. But the more i've looked around the more i'm intrigued by other blank manufactures, namely Phenix with their M1 and Recon line.

So i'm asking you guys for help in choosing blanks. For those that have built on both SC3 and M1 lines, which do you think is superior? What about other mid level blanks? What have you found to be the lightest and most sensitive rods in the 100 dollar blank price point? Whats the best bang for the buck?

Jose

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are you favorite mid level blanks to use?
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2014 08:28PM

When I was buying rods, I had a few St.Croix and a bunch of Loomis.
Since I've been rolling my own, I have mainly used Batson Rainshadow blanks.
I like the look, feel and the price.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: February 16, 2014 08:33PM

St. Croix SCII and SCIII blanks are big time bargains. Made in North America and priced in line with blanks that are far less in quality and performance. They are my "go to" blanks for most bass and light saltwater fishing projects.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 16, 2014 11:12PM

Hi,

Batson blanks. They sell basic blanks for a reasonable price that make very good catching tools. As you move up into their product line the blanks just get better and better. Many of my customers are catching on Batson blanks. You will not be disappointed. Any questions then call Adam and Kary for spot on answers.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 16, 2014 11:15PM

Not All SCII's are US made, some are in Mexico.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2014 07:23AM by Chester Kiekhafer.

Posted by: Chad Hefflinger (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 16, 2014 11:31PM

I'm really impressed with the Batson XSB-783, I've built two for walleye fishing on Erie and will most likely be building a few more before spring.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: February 17, 2014 07:33AM

Mexico remains part of North America last time I checked.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 17, 2014 09:15AM

Ken Finch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mexico remains part of North America last time I
> checked.

Yep, Ken you're right, my mistake.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: February 17, 2014 03:56PM

Jose, I would vote for the Batson line also.
why don't you join the other Michigan rod builders at the gathering on April 5. you must be in my back yard if you are fishing the Detroit and St Clair.

Posted by: Jose Garza (---.aaa-autoclubgroup.com)
Date: February 17, 2014 04:31PM

Gary,

That sounds like a good idea. Where do you guys usually meet? I live in the downriver area.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.187.---)
Date: February 17, 2014 05:58PM

[www.mirodbuilders.webs.com]

I really like the Rainshadow X series RX 8, which can be both above and below your $100 range. Check out Get Bit Outdoors, a sponsor on the left. I've been hearing good stuff on Revelation too, and they are really reasonable.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: February 17, 2014 11:00PM

Cant beat the MHX series for selection and versatility!! I love em!!

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2014 11:22PM

Chris Beverley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cant beat the MHX series for selection and
> versatility!! I love em!!

X2

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: February 18, 2014 10:07AM

Based on my experience with MHX, some of their blanks tend to be heavier in action than other blanks that use the same "rating," so before getting heavily into them I recommend discussing the rating of the blanks you're interested in with Mudhole experts. I have had no other issues with them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster