I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tidal Wave Durability?
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 06:43AM

Hello All.

I have some questions and would like some advice from anyone who has experience with the Casting Tidal Wave.

Q1; What is the durability of these guides(do they bend or break easily)?

Q2; What #rods are they capable of being used on without being over powered?

Q3 Would they be of any use on a spiral rod or not?

Thanks to Anyone Who Helps, Good Luck and Tight Wraps to ALL.

See You @ The Show. :-)

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tidal Wave Durability?
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 15, 2014 07:15AM

I have built a bunch of rods with them......

a1.... they are very durable, have abused them with no issues. I cannot say they are stronger than other guides but they are just as ......

a2.... I personally would not use them with over 20# line..... you can go from there on your rod power

a3.... I like them on spiral wrapped rods... 9 out of 10 I do are spiral wrapped.

Date: February 15, 2014 08:11AM

Thanks Don!

Anyone else?

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 10:59AM

Because of the way line comes off a casting reel I do not see any point in that microwave type butt guide. I doubt it does anything for or against you, so it should be okay to use on any type casting rod. Won't help and won't hurt. The guides look beefy enough for use on heavy duty casting rods IMO.

Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 11:53AM

I was wondering about that as well. What is the point of a tidal wave stripper on a casting road?

Posted by: Don Morse (---.sub-70-210-69.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2014 12:19PM

The main reason I like them......single foot, they look cool and have the microwave name....people love them and I don't see that trend ending anytime soon.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 12:50PM

Looks do not mean Performance

No pig tails to control On a spinning rod I can understand Control of the pig tails and they work well

But a casting rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 12:51PM

For which applications - reel type, line type, line composition, line diameter, guide train type - is the TidalWave Line Management System best suited?

Date: February 15, 2014 12:54PM

Any applitation makes no sense Ya want pretty Use a colored ring And lots of colored thread And micro guides

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2014 02:46PM

But if customers ask for them, why try and talk them out of it? They certainly aren't going to harm anything so while their benefits may be debatable, if they manage to sell rods for you then so much the better.

Date: February 15, 2014 02:47PM

Phil,the microwave system is best suited for spinning setups. There is a casting system on the market with not as much notable difference. If you have not used the Microwaves on a spinning rod, I HIGHLY suggest you give it a try.

Date: February 15, 2014 03:21PM

Tom

That is a different story All that can be done is explain why they are used and what for If a customer wants them The rod gets built with them Not saying the Customer Is Always Right --- But

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Don Morse (---.sub-70-210-66.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2014 03:49PM

I have customers all the time say they want the microwave guides but they want a casting rod. Okay! Done.

Date: February 15, 2014 07:12PM

Hello All.

I was thinking about building one for me using either 30 or 50# class with TLD reels but didn't think they would be sturdy or useful enough.

Thanks everyone I don't want to spend any money on something that doesn't give me FISHING advantage.

Thanks Again.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 02:26AM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 09:51PM

Don: Thanks for the clarification. The only time I use spinning gear any more is fishing the surf with 12' rods throwing bait and weight between 5 and 10 ounces, #20 mono to #80 super braid. Do you think it would be worth my time to build a microwave rod for myself for such service?

Date: February 16, 2014 05:36AM

No Phil.... they are more suited for "smaller" applications... If you get around to building yourself a bass rod give them a go ;)

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2014 11:07PM

Last summer I broke one of my St Croix Avid crank bait rods (my fault), I really liked the rod, so I built another one for myself. This time I used the casting Microwave guides on it. Feeling that before I build them for customers, I wanted to experience them myself. I have been very pleased with the spinning version but I am a doubting Thomas.

The first time out with the new rod and all things being the same with the exception of the MW guides I must say I was impressed. I don't know how or why but it just felt better, cast further and was more accurate. Like I said.. I am impressed. I will recomend these to my customers as well. Only thing I had wished for was, that it would have caught more fish !!

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster