I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

whats cheaper?
Posted by: robert kravic (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 01:35PM

after hassling everyone on this site all winter about the best ds blank and still agonizing over it , i was wondering whats cheaper. i could buy one of each of the blanks on my list or just drive down to carolina next weekend. if i borrow the wifes little scion i figure it will cost about 90 bucks in gas. are the blanks on sale at the show to make it worth my while?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: whats cheaper?
Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.142.---)
Date: February 14, 2014 01:43PM

I've not been there, but from what I've heard, there are tons of blanks on sale there. Of course it will make sense financially if you are willing to buy quite a few. There is a lot more to offer there than just sale blanks, however.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: February 14, 2014 02:24PM

The folly in your plan.

1) The car isn't big enough to carry all you will buy.
2) You will save a lot but it won't be cheap.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 02:36PM

I had traveled with my 7'6" rods like a 100 miles, I put them in the front passenger seat all the way to corner of the floor to the corner of the back window, they had a little bend in them but they stayed fine to we got there, and of course you could have some hang out the window. Have a nice trip, I hope someday I can do the same.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 02:37PM

I take it you have a list of blanks

Put each blank on a piece of paper Fold well Put them in a bag Shake well Pick one

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2014 03:29PM

You won't find lower prices on blanks and components anywhere than you will at the Expo. Prices run the gamut from retail all the way down to free. Yes, that's right - Free. A guy tossed a box of blanks on the floor the last year we were in High Point and let the attendees just take what they wanted. No idea what they were or if they were any good, but at the minimum, they made good reamer stock.

Guys come here with loads of cash in their pockets to spend and the vendors do their best to accommodate them. If you were planning to buy a few blanks and weren't able to come here and save $90 on them, I'd be amazed. Between the close-outs, overstocks, "trash can specials" and blanks "by the foot" your blank buying dollars won't go farther anywhere than they will at the Expo.

Plus, there's a lot more do here at the Expo than just buy blanks.

Posted by: James Zimmerman (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 03:42PM

I'm horrified by the knowledge there will be that many blanks on sale... I don't think I'm going to be able to get out of this just buying the components and blank for my hercules build am I? LOL

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 04:43PM

I went to machine tool shows for years and said "put my name on the door, I'll take it all". Never happened!
Same might apply at the expo. Also, all the lecturers should not be missed; even if you think you know everything about the subject, you will still learn something.
Go if you can.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 14, 2014 05:56PM

all that I can say is GO, GO, GO. You will not be dissapointed in the least. I typically spent between 400-1200 each time that I have gone and the deals are simply incredible as well as the experience alone. If your misses is a wine drinker you can go over to the Richard Childres Winery nearby and pick her up some nice things to keep her happy. There are also many other fine Winerys in the vicinity as well. I just wish that I could make it this year.

Date: February 14, 2014 06:37PM

i guess i could strap my rod tube to the roof of the little car but it would cut down on my gas mileage, which i redid and might only be $77. i did go to the show a couple years ago but went broke buying 200 dollar nf hm blanks. i was literally like a kid in a candy store and one day was not enough.

Date: February 14, 2014 06:45PM

Bring the wife with you

maybe she can stop you of spending all that money

like said the clases and the things you will learn are worth all that money you may spend

If you can afford it - GO - Stop whinning

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 14, 2014 07:12PM

can't do it because if she goes i can't smoke any fuentes plus if i go i'm taking big john with me. like i said one day was not enough and i didn't have time to go to any of the demonstrations. i am trying to get talked into it but the bottom line is i probably can't afford it. whaaaaaaaa

Date: February 14, 2014 07:42PM

You will be missing out on a lot of Very Good info That alone is worth the trip

Pick the blank out of a hat like I said

Enjoy your build

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 15, 2014 08:45AM

god willing i can make it work but if it keeps snowing i might have to borrow the sled dogs. if you guys still have the casting competition in the parking lot saturday morning try not to wake up the guy in a blue scion because he probably drove all night.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster