I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RAIL ROD BUILD- Looking for advice from those who have built a Rail Rod.
Posted by: Dan Keck (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2014 10:11PM

Building a rail rod and I am looking for a source for rubber cork front grips. I thought of glueing rubber rings together but I am not sure how to handle the material. It is not soft like cork and I'm not sure what type of glue to use with the rubber material. Dose the cork rubber ream the same as cork? I have also thought of using cold shrink tube over regular cork, but I have been told that the end product is not that appealing in appearance. I am also looking for a recommendation on the front grip length?

Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RAIL ROD BUILD- Looking for advice from those who have built a Rail Rod.
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 12, 2014 12:41AM

Use epoxy to glue the rings together (not wrap epoxy), Rod Bond is a good one. It reams a little slower then cork.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2014 09:40AM

Dan,
we have a rail rod grip available it's not listed on the site but if you give me a call I can get one for you.

Regards,

Todd
866-790-7637 x-112

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 12, 2014 11:02AM

dan,
a reamed cedar grip can take the punishment.
You can make your own on a lathe.
Cedar lasts well , better than rubbe/eva cork etc if you actually rest rod on the rail while cranking fish in.
Grip is good, does not slip with slime on hands but if you are concerned you can cover with a shrink tubing.
I have also used Ozite exterior carpeting cut into a long strip and wrapped like you would leather.
Grips well with wet hands; gets funky smell but it work very well.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2014 11:51AM

I would suggest that you build up the blank with cork tape and cover it with cold shrink. You can cap each end with what ever you like but you don't want a hard slippery grip.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2014 12:41PM

Dan Unhide your Email Address

Posted by: mike johnson (---.dhcp.unas.wa.charter.com)
Date: February 12, 2014 09:15PM

what is a rail rod??

Date: February 12, 2014 09:17PM

Email is unhidden. I welcome your email.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 09:19PM by Dan Keck.

Date: February 12, 2014 09:26PM

Mike, a Rail Rod is a fishing rod used to catch big tuna by placing the front grips on on the rail of the boat. No harness or chair used to fight the fish. You must follow the fish around the boat, so the front grip will take a beating. There are good videos on YouTube. Search cow tuna and rail rods. I would send you a link, but I don't know how to do that yet on this forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 09:31PM by Dan Keck.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 08:08PM

Watched a Show on NBC SPORTS last nite Larry Dahlburg Making a Rail rod Sponsered by Mudhole.com. He used Rubberized cork i Believe

Posted by: thad peach (129.41.205.---)
Date: February 20, 2014 07:05AM

Here is my 2 cents on rail rods. I build them and use them. I looked at rubberized cork grips as well as what Mudhole has and had it in my hands and I didn't use it, in my opinion they are just not tough enough for multiple trips as well as rubberized cork rings. In this case tougher is better but not necessarily harder. I use a 18" hypalon foregrip and use a 18" piece of cold shrink. I turn on my Jet lathe the rod once the grips are in place and inlay into the hypalon. Once I have the cold shrink in place I run fine sandpaper over it to remove the lettering on the coldshrink and this gives a sticky and a little texture to the feeling to it. Jim is right you do not want a hard slippery grip it has to stay where you put it on the rail or that tuna will pull you everywhere because you will not have control of the rod on the rail. I have 5 trips of 15 days on these rods around 10 cows and a super cow and the cold shrink only shows a little wear and will be good for this year's 15 day trip as well and on many more. When I do need to replace the foregrip I can just slice through the cold shrink and replace it without destroying anything on the rod.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster