I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave Guides
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: February 11, 2014 09:06AM

Hey guys I know there have been a lot of past posts on these guides, but I am interested in if these guides are easier to set up than the KLAG series guides - seems the Microwaves are sold in sets. Anything I should take into account when selecting the set, sounds too easy. Is the stripper guide size standard in all sets? And is it pretty accurate to follow the guide layouts provided by American Tackle. Any info on the use of these guides, never seen them in person. Will be using on a spinning rod with braid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave Guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2014 09:51AM

Yes

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2014 10:05AM

MicroWaves are super simple to layout, just follow the printed guide.
Yes, it does sound too easy, but it works!
I have been using them for a year and everyone who tries my rods loves them,
Granted I have only built UL to Medium Spinning rods and a MH Casting rod with them.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: February 11, 2014 10:07AM

The stripper guide is the same size in all the kits. If you are going to use the rod in the salt go with the titanium guides. Very easy to set up and the instructions are clear.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: brad parker (96.126.193.---)
Date: February 11, 2014 10:08AM

The MicroWave Guides are no harder to setup than any other micro guide setup, at least to me.

Each set includes guide layout by rod length. The guide gives you the layout by distance from the tip-top for each guide.

One thing you need to take into account is the rod length. The MicroWave guides are sold in sets of 9. This is good for rods up to 7' in length. If you are building a longer rod, you will need to order additional running guides.

The stripper guide is a size 20 with an offset size 6. They are all this standard size. In fact if you go to the American Tackle website, download their new catalog and at the end it gives you the specs on all of their guides and it also has the guide layout.

Some people have played with the layout and have got greater casting distances, but be careful. For this system to function correctly it must be laid out right. If you change too much you will not get the benefits.

The MicroWave guides with Nanolite rings are my goto guide set for spinning rods with braid.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.sub-70-210-68.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2014 10:19AM

Lots of good info....... And btw.... The microwave guide system has just won it's third award at Chinafish!!!!!

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns11.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 11, 2014 02:23PM

G'day Jay

They are all i am using sinc e they have come out in the Tidal Waves.Easy to set up just follow the instructions,I set up the running guides using
a static load test.You wont be disappointed give them a run.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2014 08:36PM

I have used them on 3 rods now by request and I used the instructions for the first three guides. I did not use their recommended spacing for the runners however. I still used static testing to achieve that spacing. No complaints from customers. One customer really liked how smooth they are compared to a store bought rod. Same guy also says that he can cast more accurately using that rod with the Microwave guides on it. I only use them if the customer requests them. I normally use Kigan ZH high frame spinning guides.

I have had more success with quality and less failures with Kigan guides than any other guides I have ever used.

One of the Microwave guides had a running guide failure after three fishing trips. A running guide ring came out of the frame. Other than that, no problems.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: February 16, 2014 06:57AM

Yeah. The big test is in the durability and longevity. I re-built my spinning rods last year and fished the whole season and so fa so good. I bent one of the running guides pretty good on transport while it was in my kayak. But, it bent right back into position and hasn't failed.
I also only use their measurements for the first three guides and then the runners per normal static test.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster